PDA

View Full Version : Square a bowed board?

Dennis H.
02-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Howdy,
How do y'all square a board with a bow in it?

I was trying to cut some 2"1/8 w x 24" strips from bowed fence board. I tried to square the board first using the process that Dino demonstrates and the width of my board was off by 1/8 (I used the square with handle to make the cuts). Since my attempt to square the board was off, I ended up measuring, marking, and clamping to make the cuts.

This was another practice project. A 2'x2'x2' container to sit next to my garden... that's why I used a left over board from my fence.

thanks,
-dennis

Burt
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Howdy,
How do y'all square a board with a bow in it?

I was trying to cut some 2"1/8 w x 24" strips from bowed fence board. I tried to square the board first using the process that Dino demonstrates and the width of my board was off by 1/8 (I used the square with handle to make the cuts). Since my attempt to square the board was off, I ended up measuring, marking, and clamping to make the cuts.

This was another practice project. A 2'x2'x2' container to sit next to my garden... that's why I used a left over board from my fence.

thanks,
-dennis

Dennis,

It would be a bit easier if If I knew what toys you have to play with.

Okay, You say you want pieces 2 1/8" x 24" . If you straightline the entire board at once You're going to waste more wood than necessary in this case.

First, I would use the square and cut the board into about 25" Pieces.

Next, I would take a rail, clamp each board to the rail(one at a time), and straight line all the boards.

Next, I'd rip the boards to 2 1/8" wide. If I had repeaters, I'd use them or the EZ One. If I had neither, I'd mark each board, clamp to a rail and do my rip.

As the final step, I'd take the square and square both ends while cutting the board to length.

Burt

Dino
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
burt, maybe oversize the first square cut to 25-1/2 ''?

do as you said and square again.

more info needed to provide better answers.
how long is the board?
how much is the bow?

you must establish a straight edge in order to square the wood.

back to my prototrak.;)

Burt
02-07-2011, 12:17 AM
burt, maybe oversize the first square cut to 25-1/2 ''?

do as you said and square again.

more info needed to provide better answers.
how long is the board?
how much is the bow?

you must establish a straight edge in order to square the wood.

back to my prototrak.;)

Dennis,

What Dino and I both were getting at with the 1" and 1 1/2" extra is that when you do the initial crosscut, The square will be setting on a crooked surface and you will not get a square cut.

Since you were only using 2 feet at a time, we both suggested cross cutting the board before straightlining. If you straightline the entire board, there will be a lot more wasted wood.

Burt

Dennis H.
02-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I have the cbnt maker, smart table, and a few rails. My inital board (scrap from a 2 yr old fence) was approx 50". I xcut an end with a square then used the clean end to rip a clean edge about 24.5" up the board. I then xcut at that point. When I measured the width of my new board, one end was 7 1/16 and the other end was 7 3/16+.

I only needed four boards for the top of of my garden box so I let sleeping dogs lie (measured, marked, clamped, and cut to get my keepers).
The board was pretty bowed. My straight edge was about 1/16 off the face of the board when I laid it across the entire 7 1/2 width.

Thanks,
-dennis

Burt
02-07-2011, 03:05 AM
I have the cbnt maker, smart table, and a few rails. My inital board (scrap from a 2 yr old fence) was approx 50". I xcut an end with a square then used the clean end to rip a clean edge about 24.5" up the board. I then xcut at that point. When I measured the width of my new board, one end was 7 1/16 and the other end was 7 3/16+.

I only needed four boards for the top of of my garden box so I let sleeping dogs lie (measured, marked, clamped, and cut to get my keepers).
The board was pretty bowed. My straight edge was about 1/16 off the face of the board when I laid it across the entire 7 1/2 width.

Thanks,
-dennis

Dennis,

I think you used the only workable approach to make your boards.

If I understand correctly, You cross cut the board with the square and then tried to rip the board with the square. If that is correct, You did better than I would have expected.

The square is not recommended for ripping. The problem with ripping a 7 1/2" board is there is not enough wood to adequately support the square.

Burt

Dennis H.
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Burt,
Thanks for info on not using the square on boards w/o adequate support across the square. Learn something everytime I fire up the EZ. Yes, you understand the process I used.

When you say the square isn't recommended for ripping, do you mean in all cases or just rips (a) w/o adequate support/breadth across the square and/or (b) rips longer than 50"?

regards,
-dennis
BTW --I put a straight-edge against the scrap before work this morning and the bow was closer to 1/8 on one side and 1/16 on the other..

Burt
02-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Dennis,

What I meant by the square isn't meant for ripping was a general statement because there normally isn't enough space tyo support the square. If there is adequate support for the square, do any cut you wish up to about 50". I do.

The problem with over 50" is the support for the square vs the length. If you ever need to go over 50" with the square, set the square, clamp the far end and measure to insure your setup is good.

Burt