PDA

View Full Version : Scribing window jamb extensions with EZ

Dik Harrison
06-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Just posted this on my blog (http://ezsmart.blogspot.com/2011/06/scribing-window-jamb-extensions.html).

whitejacket
06-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Nice post Dik. I like the idea of putting the jamb together then scribing all the way around. I did have a thought that if you used a second set of smart clamps you could set up both pieces at the same time, one on each side of the rail. That way you cut one way, turn the saw around, and cut the other way. I don't know if any time would have been saved, but just another way it could be done. I know I always end up thinking about one side of the rail and the other side is always forgotten. But one of the things that makes EZ stand out is the dual cutting edges.

I love these project posts. I love seeing EZ in action.

Joe

Bob F.
06-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Dik,

That was a good video and especially the use of the smart table. I agree with whitejacket about the setup, using extra smart clamps for the other piece. I think it would be a great way to show how both sides of one guide rail could be used at the same time, one set up for two cuts. Always like to see your videos.

Thanks
Bob F.

Dik Harrison
06-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks guys!

Setting up two cuts would work just fine as long as the pieces are 2 1/2" or less wide, any more and you would probably get interference. Having two sets of clamps would let you cut on something other than a Smart Table, as long as you have the length for the clamp studs to rest on the "table". I, however, prefer the Smart Table, as I feel that the clamps would not make for a very stable cutting platform.

Dino
06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
nice job Dik.
why you dont hire a carpenter? :D:D

Dik Harrison
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Dino,

It was supposed carpenters that screwed this up to begin with. I'd rather do my own finish work because I very picky.

Dino
06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Dino,

It was supposed carpenters that screwed this up to begin with. I'd rather do my own finish work because I very picky.

I knew that...:rolleyes::D

toollovingschultz
06-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Dino,

Dik a good carpenter wouldn't have left itlike that. It is hard to find truly skilled carpenters it is a easy label to gain. Many make the claim but few have the real training.The old saying you might make a carpenter someday but you will never be one. people teach just enough to get by and don't really train thier help. It is about fast and quick not right. Easy money.
Andy

Dik Harrison
06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Andy,

That is why I said "supposed carpenters". The lead claimed to have 16 years experience. I wanted to ask (but bit my tongue) experience doing what?

They mis-measured and then tried to use 1x for a cripple stud. I told them that it wouldn't fly, and was told that they do it all the time. Well the inspector told them to do it right.

Mel Beck
06-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Andy,

Well the inspector told them to do it right.

You know I've never had an inspector problem, and now we know why their needed. OMG 16 yrs. doing what PTN.

Ken
06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
You know I've never had an inspector problem

I have never had any problems with inspectors either. Two years ago I bought an old house, gutted it down to the studs, new 200 amp panel and all new wiring, all new plumbing, sheetrocked the entire house walls and ceilings, new flooring, new bathrooms, new kitchen (not even in the same room as the old one) took out a few walls. One of them was load bearing so I cut the ceiling joists and installed a hidden beam.

I did all the work myself and it surpasses code. I like to do things right. At this point me and my family have been living in the house for about a year.

Now, I hope you are not going to tell me that I was supposed to have any of this inspected :eek: