PDA

View Full Version : Apples and Oranges?

Tom Gensmer
09-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Ok, so when comparing the EZ system to traditional wood working it can sometimes feel like comparing varying and differing varieties of fruit. Often a head-to-head comparison in not necessarily appropriate.

For instance, some functions performed on a table saw, such as dadoes, are more easily and safely performed with the SSRK in the EZ world.

In others, you need to re-think how you go about producing a project, in what order you are cutting your pieces, etc.....

What are some other examples of how you can reach the same end point with the EZ system as you would with a traditional wood working tool or device, but you would take a different path to get there?

bigjohn1
09-08-2011, 01:37 AM
I also agree we need setups shown on how things can be cut on a table saw and then how you would make the same cut on the EZ-1 because so many think of a table saw first.

Burt
09-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Tom,

The first thing that comes to mind is I am now more prone to crosscut first. With the table saw, I use to rip first. In general cross cutting first is easier.

Handling small pieces is much easier and safer on the EZ One. Cuts that I was literally afraid of on the table saw are now easy - Crazy stuff like taking a 1/16" piece off a half inch wide piece of stock.

Tom, what you are talking about is what I use to refer to as "Learning to think EZ."

Another great asset is the ability to safely gang cut. When I use to try that on a miter saw, I had to cross my fingers. You never knew when the blade would bind or a board would head your way. With the rail to hold the wood on the EZ one, there is no problem.

Burt

bumpnstump
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Great question, Tom. Just yesterday, I was enjoying one of the features the EZ-One allows.
I needed to straight-line rip, and then, finish-dimension rip some wood I was reclaiming, in order to make some panels for a door. So, I set up for the finish-dimension rip. Then, I tucked the wood under the bridge, setting it to where I could make an appropriate straight-line rip. As soon as I did the straight-line rip, I raised the bridge, quickly moved the wood over to the pre-set up stop and ripped to final dimension.
Total time spent to make the two rips? ~90 seconds.
Most of these reclaimed boards have bad edges, and I'm trying to avoid knots. So many of the straight-line rips have me positioning the wood at an angle under the bridge. Not an issue w/the EZ-one.
Think about what would have been involved doing this on a table saw. (I know, I've done it.)
First pic shows the straight-line rip; second pic shows ripping to final dimension.
Rick

Philphoto
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Two things I think are a change for some. I never use mortise and tenon joints. I did not have specialized equipment, or space. I also was not fond of the method of using the table saw. I now do mostly pocket screws or dowels. I have the Dowelmaxx and it is as precise as any cnc machine for laying out dowels. The pocket screws are plain FAST! I have an Incra router system and can do most any other type of joint that I may want, but not too many of those type projects in the works right now.

The other issue, is cutting wood from rough lumber. I have had some times when I want to cut the board at an angle to take advantage of the grain and not just the way the sawyer cut the log at the mill. I have seen this done in books and on DVD's. In truth I would never attempt it on the table saw like the "experts" do. The EZ system is perfect for this type of cut. You can match the grain the saw and the guide to your advantage without sacrificing safety.

My next challenge is miter cuts (45 deg. ) for boxes. On the table saw you use a sled and it is perfect for cutting the entire box sides from one long board. Hard operation without a sled. Still working on it.
Phil