PDA

View Full Version : EZ Downsizing the Shop

Mike Goetzke
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I just finished my last door for our huge kitchen makeover. Hate to admit it but counting the tear down, construction, and cabinets I'm about 18 months into this project. One thing I noticed was that I didn't once use my nice Makita 12" SCMS. I find I mostly use my miter saw for straight cuts and I can perform those on my EZ-One and TS with miter sled. I'm thinking about selling it but worried that as soon as it is gone I'll need it. Any encouragement or discouragement out there?

Thanks,

Mike

Burt
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
I just finished my last door for our huge kitchen makeover. Hate to admit it but counting the tear down, construction, and cabinets I'm about 18 months into this project. One thing I noticed was that I didn't once use my nice Makita 12" SCMS. I find I mostly use my miter saw for straight cuts and I can perform those on my EZ-One and TS with miter sled. I'm thinking about selling it but worried that as soon as it is gone I'll need it. Any encouragement or discouragement out there?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

As soon as my first EZ cross cutter went into operation. the Makita 12" sliding compound left. Now the EZ One handles both cross cutting and rips so the crosscutter is on its way out. I do have a DeWalt 715 that I use for installation of crown. Otherwise all of my cutting is done by EZ,

My sliding compound use to do all crosscutting on anything 12" wide or less. I can do the cuts with as good accuracy and quicker on the EZ One.

Get in a bunch of woodworkers and you will find a lot of people saying that the tablesaw with a good miter gauge is more accurate than a miter saw. I have never believed that .

One final thought: If you didn't use it on your kitchen, what in the world would you use it for?

Burt

Dino
10-31-2011, 09:56 PM
crowm molding is the last task for ez.
The ez crown? :rolleyes:
The tools that we use to cut crown molding are simply wrong.

The ez-solution is due 2012...;)

Mike Goetzke
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the replies - I almost forgot I still need to crown my cabinets (then sell the SCMS).

Mike

Gabe O
11-04-2011, 08:37 PM
crowm molding is the last task for ez.
The ez crown? :rolleyes:
The tools that we use to cut crown molding are simply wrong.

The ez-solution is due 2012...;)

Does it involve a b300 on a turntable?

Dino
11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Does it involve a b300 on a turntable?

No.
Just to forget all other tools and thing like you never saw a mitersaw.
very hard to do that but when you do...you feel so stupid for not
making that simple solution 30 ears ago.????

Randal Stevenson
11-05-2011, 02:04 AM
No.
Just to forget all other tools and thing like you never saw a mitersaw.
very hard to do that but when you do...you feel so stupid for not
making that simple solution 30 ears ago.????

Are you talking powered, or hand?

I always figured, something like the old hand (wooden) miter saw boxes, but using the sliding boards of the Smart table, would be the eventual way.

Dino
11-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Are you talking powered, or hand?

I always figured, something like the old hand (wooden) miter saw boxes, but using the sliding boards of the Smart table, would be the eventual way.

randal, even if the hand saw is better...who is going to buy it? :rolleyes:
This is how far we can go on this one. ;)

The miter saw market is huge...with huge blades and cost.
Very soon we will offer a guard and safety system to make all mitersaws safe.
After that we will start offering the ez solution.

tx

Ken
11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I have a really nice Makita 10" SCMS. It dates back to my table saw days. Since both were 10" it meant less blades to stock. Today with EZ I have no need for the sliding feature and would rather have a fixed 12" compound miter saw just for doing crown. It will be very interesting to see what Dino has up his sleeve to make these saws safe.

From experience the first thing that they need is a good fence. The small fence on a SCMS is dangerous because it does not provide enough support to safely cut the materials. SCMS's also have a large hole in the middle and small pieces get sucked into it very easily. I have a very special 79 tooth trim blade because of this. It is not just the carbide that is missing but the whole tooth! Never did find where it went. This was the closest call I have ever had with a power tool and something that I never want to repeat.

The second thing that is needed is a good clamping/stop system to keep hands far away from the blade. This clamping system must be easy to use and not a nuisance like most are.

Dino
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
I have a really nice Makita 10" SCMS. It dates back to my table saw days. Since both were 10" it meant less blades to stock. Today with EZ I have no need for the sliding feature and would rather have a fixed 12" compound miter saw just for doing crown. It will be very interesting to see what Dino has up his sleeve to make these saws safe.

From experience the first thing that they need is a good fence. The small fence on a SCMS is dangerous because it does not provide enough support to safely cut the materials. SCMS's also have a large hole in the middle and small pieces get sucked into it very easily. I have a very special 79 tooth trim blade because of this. It is not just the carbide that is missing but the whole tooth! Never did find where it went. This was the closest call I have ever had with a power tool and something that I never want to repeat.

The second thing that is needed is a good clamping/stop system to keep hands far away from the blade. This clamping system must be easy to use and not a nuisance like most are.

Ken, the mitersaws and sliding miters was the way out from the RAS when
the liability was greater than profits for many companies.
So, what they did is covering up with more of the same.

our solution is very unique and simple.
100% safe and 75%-80% less weight.

You're in the list to joint the ez-10 team.understanding the problem is 99%
of the job and you have
what it takes to help woodworking.
thanks

I will send you an email or you can call me anytime for the details.

whitejacket
11-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Definitely looking forward to the EZ solution. I currently have a 12" SCMS with 8' table to the left (also have 8' wing for the right that I don't have room to add --- got the tables for $1.50 from a millwork place that sold at auction). That is just insane -- 16' long table for 1 purpose.

I am currently in the floor plan design stage for my soon-to-be-relocated shop and I am thinking about my options. I will probably leave the SCMS in the old unheated shop where I plan to store my lumber. After Dino posted his design challenge it got me thinking about what could be done with EZ to replace the SCMS and managed to come up with a few ideas (at least on paper) that I will have to try out (unless Dino's EZ solution becomes available first). I really like Dino's idea of having a long table that can have multiple purposes (i.e. multiple stations).

Joe