PDA

View Full Version : Blades and EZ options

BlkNotes
01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Two scenarios

1) Ripping hardwood lumber. 8-10' L x 8/9" W x 1/2" to 1.5" thickness
making 1 to 3" strips

2) Ripping and crosscutting veneer plywood sheets 4' x 8' thickness of (1/8 to 3/4")

What blade types are member using to do the above tasks and which EZ machine/set-up would be best?

Scenario #1

I think the 8" planks would be to narrow to use the ripsizer--correct?

Could use the EZ smart table with EZ clamps?

Scenario #2

I believe the rip sizer could be used for ripping plywood sheets. Then the the strips could be cross cut with the EZ square handle.

Also the plywood sheet could be placed on a EZ smart table and cut using a long piece of ez track. Could this technique be used to cross cut as well?

Using EZ-1 would be limited in its ripping to the length of the bridge, so 54", and of course it could be cross cut using the bridge.

Am I missing any other possibilities?

Thank-you
Cheers;
BN

Dino
01-15-2012, 03:03 AM
hi bob.
if the pieces are narrow, make them wider by placing multiple strips
side by side. Like making small panels from strips = ripsizer.
Stop the wood from moving with two pieces of scrap= smart table.

EZ-1 or a track with the square for all the rest.
Trimming/squaring/cut to length.
good luck.

toollovingschultz
01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Bob I reallly like cmt or diablo blades the cmt is available at lowes and diablo at home depot the 24 tooth blade works best for ripping and the 40 or 60 tooth for crosscutting.

For rips down to 3 inches the ripsizer works good with the fence sliding under the rail I have made some real nice rips this way. for narrower ripsI use my power benchor stack my pieces like Dino described.

Andy

Burt
01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Andy and Dino have given you great advice. Let me just add a little on ripping hardwood with the ripsizer. In my experience with the ripsizer a narrrow cut isn't a problem. The problem is to get adequate support for your saw base. That is where Dino and Andy are talking about using other pieces of wood that are the same thickness as the one you are cutting.

Burt