PDA

View Full Version : Using Woodpecker Flip Stops

Dik Harrison
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Some time ago I purchased some Flip Stops from Woodpecker with the idea of using them on the EZ-One. I have used them a bunch on one of my drill presses, but have just recently gotten around to trying them on the EZ-One. Be aware that I don't have the current EZ-One that uses SSMEs on the top for support, but have an earlier version that uses SMEs. These stops will not work with the SSME since the side slot is on the down side.

Any way, I needed to rout some shallow dadoes for dividers in a scrap bin that I'm building to go next to my cut-off saw. I needed to rout one side of two panels and both sides of a divider panel, all with the same spacing.

I shot a quick video (http://youtu.be/i9iK2druYjc) of the process. Enjoy.

Oops, the video was cut short, I'll have to do a new link. Should be up shortly.

whitejacket
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Dik,
Very nice video. The flip stops are a great addition. This video really allows someone to see the benefit of the SSRK and the EZ-One together.

Joe

Dik Harrison
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks Joe, I had to re-compile because the end didn't compile the first time.

Philphoto
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Dik:
Like the review and it would be nice if EZ has some of our very own stops that will work in all occasions.

I could not see clearly what you are doing with the SSRK at the end of each dado run. Looks like you unscrew something and re-tighten?

I also viewed you ripping an oak 4/4 and I am curios what saw you have in that video? Shiny with lots of chrome.

Phil

Dik Harrison
09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Phil,

I make dadoes in two passes with a bit smaller than the final dado. I was loosening the knob to move the SSRK to the other stop.

I that is the Makita 5008.

Brian Kincaid
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure the 'adjust' was because the dado was wider than the router bit. He had the SSRK swing set to cut the width of the plywood that will be inserted in the dado.

Thanks for the video! I have an idea to use Incra's shop-stops in my next cutting/routing table. I'm still fishing ideas for implementation.

-Brian

ps I just saw that Dik answered the question too

Burt
09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Dik,

Good video.

I've used a number of flip stops on the EZ. Some of the nicest are those made to work on the unifences but the price is outrageous.

Burt

Ivanhoe
09-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Great video as always Dik!

roy_okc
09-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Dik,

Great idea and another nice video. Have you had any thoughts on how to do something similar on the SSME tops?

Roy

Dik Harrison
09-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Roy,

I'm thinking about it, but am very busy right now. It might have to be a new EZ product. We will see...

Dino
09-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Dik,

Great idea and another nice video. Have you had any thoughts on how to do something similar on the SSME tops?

Roy

Roy, that maybe the very first job in Ocala.
with full time machinists and few cnc's there...we will make ez fully loaded and the TRACKSAW CENTRAL.

tx

Dik Harrison
10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Finally had a chance today to take another look at the Woodpecker Flipstop, and modifying it to use on the newer style EZ-One, with SSRK top kit, is to simply fasten 1/2" to 3/4" high block to the flip part. I'll do a quick model and post it.

Dik Harrison
10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Okay, here is the model.

roy_okc
10-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Finally had a chance today to take another look at the Woodpecker Flipstop, and modifying it to use on the newer style EZ-One, with SSRK top kit, is to simply fasten 1/2" to 3/4" high block to the flip part. I'll do a quick model and post it.

Dik,

Awesome idea and thanks as always for a great model to help it make sense.

Roy

aaronp
10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Dik,

I thought someone would try that. I bought a couple with that intention, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

I was disappointed that the new ones are polycarbonate, rather than the original's aluminum, but I guess it does make mods a bit easier.

Also, there is a bulge where it sits in the track groove, meant to lock it in linearly, but it's designed for a thinner slot and subsequently rocks over if you slide the workpiece over too hard. Tightening it down harder helps, of course, but I'm not sure how much I would trust it for accurate repeats until that could be remedied. Maybe if you were to widen the new material and saddle either side of the stop you could lock it in a little better.

At any rate, I think I'm going to get a few more that I don't alter. They're pretty handy for blocking in solid tops and other between-fence modules from below.

Aaron