PDA

View Full Version : Glue quality cuts

Burt
11-13-2009, 02:00 PM
From time to time people ask about the quality of cuts with the EZ Rail system as it relates to gluing panels. With that in mind here is a link to some pictures of a cypress table top that I have been working on. At this stage of the game I have put it together with pocket screws - about 15" apart on the edges of the boards. The boards were ripped with the EZ rails and then screwed together. No additional edge processing was done. The strips across the ends were clamped there to support the table top when I fliped it over after installing the screws.

http://picasaweb.google.com/burt1947/TableTop?authkey=Gv1sRgCK6WrY_e-t2J9AE&feat=email#5403628498123603362

Burt

Andy Brian
11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Burt,

I just finished building a PBB. First chance to really use the system was disappointing. The cut quality was terrible! The saw is a Makita 5401 with a smart base that was installed by Dino or someone at Eurekazone. I will check the alignment of the base but should it not be good coming from Dino?

I was ripping some pine 2x4s. Should be EZ to get a smooth cut. Do I need to invest in a better blade? Forrest?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Burt
11-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Burt,

I just finished building a PBB. First chance to really use the system was disappointing. The cut quality was terrible! The saw is a Makita 5401 with a smart base that was installed by Dino or someone at Eurekazone. I will check the alignment of the base but should it not be good coming from Dino?

Dino's goal is perfection in what he ships but I would check it out.

I was ripping some pine 2x4s. Should be EZ to get a smooth cut. Do I need to invest in a better blade? Forrest?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Some pine is of very poor quality. Do you have another board you could try? In general, Reasonable quality blades give good results with the EZ system. I use a bigfoot blade the most. I think amazon has them for under $30.

Was the AC3 properly installed on thesaw base when you received it?

Burt

Andy Brian
11-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Yes, The ac3 was installed properly. I checked the alignment of the base and it appeared perfect. The blade that came on the Makita is really thin and flimsy. The cut just looks like a rough saw mill cut. Nothing like my Unisaw at all.
I am not ready to sell that Unisaw yet.

Andy Brian
11-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Whew! I thought I had built a PBB for nothing. Just took the 8" Freud off of my RAS and voila! glass smooth cuts.

Burt
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Whew! I thought I had built a PBB for nothing. Just took the 8" Freud off of my RAS and voila! glass smooth cuts.

Glad to see that you solved the problem. It will take a while for you to trust the PBB like you trust the unisaw. The process took me two or three years.

Burt