PDA

View Full Version : First Time buyer/user

bakka
03-13-2013, 03:04 AM
After reviewing the true track system VS the EZ track I decided to buy the 108" package because the true track system looks like a knock off of the EZ.

Anyways I don't have a makita saw. I have a dewalt will this be a problem?
Based on the vids I have been watching seems like I will need to bore holes in the base of my saw to attach the smart base. Am I right about this?

Do you guys have any tips for a first time user?
I also think this product seems nice but the instructional vids could be better.

bumpnstump
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
After reviewing the true track system VS the EZ track I decided to buy the 108" package because the true track system looks like a knock off of the EZ.

Based on the vids I have been watching seems like I will need to bore holes in the base of my saw to attach the smart base. Am I right about this?

I also think this product seems nice but the instructional vids could be better.

bakka,
welcome to the forum.

Let me give it a shot re. answering your questions; hopefully, more knowledgeable guys will also chime in.

re. Dewalt: shouldn't be a problem. (Which model do you have?) If an 'off-the-shelf' saw won't fit the standard EZ saw base, custom (Moduni) bases can be fabricated. A quick call to the EZ factory should answer the question definitively.

re. holes in the saw base: correct, you will need to drill holes thru your saw base to attach the EZ base.
It's not hard to do, and I think instructions come with the EZ base. Some guys are understandably hesitant to drill thru their saw base, but it should come clear once you have the EZ base in hand that it is not harmful to the saw. When you get the EZ equip. in hand, if you're still not sure, post back here with questions/pics, and someone will walk you thru the process.

re. 'tips for a first time user': are you asking for tips related to assembling the EZ equipment, or, tips related to using the EZ equipment?
We can help with either/both. Assuming it's the latter, it would help to know a bit more re. your experience using power tools, working with wood, what are you hoping to accomplish using EZ, etc.

hth,
Rick

roy_okc
03-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Bakka,

Welcome to the EZ fold!

As long as you have a typical right-hand saw with flat base you should be okay. My first saw I EZed is a $60-70 7-1/4" Ryobi bought at a big box store that I find does better at some tasks than the more expensive 8-1/4" Makita. If you have some monster size, maybe some of the hypoids, lefty, or some other unique saw, then you might find that a special base works better.

I recall that at one time there was some testing of using good double-sided tape for adhering the base; I'm not sure what the results of that, but you might want to do some searching to see if that is viable. One thing that you do want to do is spend a good amount of time ensuring the base is perfectly aligned with your blade, so that the blade and slot are parallel.

Also, make sure you have good blades. The Freud Diablo blades work very well for most people here and are very reasonably priced for the quality. I can't count the number of posts I've seen by people stating poor quality cuts until they switched to the Diablos. Also, you probably want to standardize on a thickness before cutting down the plastic edge or else you will have varying tearout quality when you use a thin blade compared to a thick blade.

Good luck!
Roy

Jeff R
03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
I recall that at one time there was some testing of using good double-sided tape for adhering the base; I'm not sure what the results of that, but you might want to do some searching to see if that is viable.
I am using mounting tape, made for mounting emblems on cars, and so far it is working well. I had some 1/2 inch tape on hand. I would feel a little more confident using one of these inch wide tapes from Lowe's...
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=237203-98-411DC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3101939&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#BVRRWidgetID
http://www.lowes.com/pd_394705-98-414/DC_0__?productId=3690666&Ntt=mounting+tape&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmounting%2Btape&facetInfo=
One thing that you do want to do is spend a good amount of time ensuring the base is perfectly aligned with your blade, so that the blade and slot are parallel.
The three tabs on the new SmartBase help a lot to get proper alignment. However there was a little flashing on one of the tabs that I had to trim off. After that and before actually mounting the base, I checked the distance from the tabs to the slot with calipers and they were all very close to the same.

~ Jeff

rynomac
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I just received my smart base etc 2 weeks ago. The new Smart Base comes with 8 threaded bolts (2 sizes, 4 of each) with tapered heads to fit the base perfectly, without sitting proud. Comes with 4 nuts with spring washers inbuilt.

I have a Bosch 7 1/4" saw which unfortunately has pressed trenches all over it, so I took a heap of time to move my saw back and forth to find a flat place to drill into.
I also centred my blade across the 3 alignment tabs to increase chance of getting the saw square first go. Instructions say to mount it forward, but I guess this is more applicable to the larger saws??

I clamped my saw base to the Smart base, used a punch pin (??) to mark the centre of the holes then removed the Smart base to drill into the saw base. I went overboard and used most of the little bolts, and tapped the holes I drilled into my saw base. This is not necessary, I just got carried away. I managed to get it square with 4 bolts :D

Take the time to get the holes right, and do them one or two at a time, so if one is off, you dont have to use it. Due to base profile, a couple of my holes were out by 0.5-1mm which influences blade alignment to tabs.

Of course, this process would be much simpler if my saw base was flat!

If you have vernier calipers, check the tabs against the front fence - Great idea Jeff!
As the Smart bases are injection moulded, do check the cleanliness of the end of the alignment tabs.

I tied the guard in the full open position for alignment and fastening. I didn't have to trim any extra from the Smart base as my guard moved freely through full range.

I'm using an Irwin 60T blade as I cut laminate more often than not, and already had this on my circular saw well before I even came across the EZ system. I forgot to insert the anti chip insert on my first job :o and.... not one chip!:D was cutting laminated MDF with the UEG and everything worked perfectly. Sharp cut edges, square and chip free.... what more could I ask for!?

As for instructions, go here for the instructions that will accompany what you purchase:
http://eurekazone.com/content/product-instructions

FYI, I have few woodworking skills or tools. With your saw and the Smart base in hand, this will make sense.