PDA

View Full Version : Fin and Guide rail

beezar
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I just received my guiderail / sawbase combo, and wanted to ask a very newbie question:

When making cuts on the guide rail, do you use the anti-kickback fin or no? On the printed instructions, it seems to imply you use the fin only for free hand cuts: "The Anti-Kickback Fin is essential in helping to reduce the potential for kickback when using your circular saw for free hand cuts."

But in Laney Shaughnessy's how-to video on the guiderail, it seems like he leaves the fin on the saw even when using it on the guiderail.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm really new to this and woodworking in general. Thanks.

Edit: might as well ask another newbie question: Laney says on his video to do a climbing cut in order to trim the anti-chip edge on the guide rail and that it is a more dangerous cut. What makes it dangerous and what should I look out for? Is it kickback?

Burt
01-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the EZ Forum.

The Fin was originally designed to be used with the Universal Edge Guide. Along the way other uses were found. The Fin can be used with the rail as well.

When you are trimming the edges for use with the EZ, the saw is moved in the same direction as the blade on the saw is turning. If the blade is set to deep, this can cause the saw to self feed.

Burt

beezar
01-07-2014, 12:20 AM
OK, makes sense. Thanks!