PDA

View Full Version : trimming off a scosch. . . (1/16")

Goblu
03-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Today I was trying to trim off just a bit from some small pieces. I thought of the keyway keys. I used a 1/2" inch key and butted it against the track on top of the piece of plywood. That way I was going by touch--feeling whether the key was aligned with edge of the wood rather than doing it by eye--known to be more accurate. Since my saw cuts 7/16" away from the track edge (1/16" less than 1/2"), this will trim off 1/16". Plus it's much quicker. It worked very well for this purpose.

I suppose if I wanted to cut off more, I could use a larger key. I've used them to align router bits mostly. They are cheap from the hardware store, probably less than $1 each. It's a good way to get quick measurements and I have some different sizes. Those expensive brass bars are the same idea, but because these are used in motors and have to fit precisely, they are quite accurate while still being very inexpensive.

Technically, I know you should measure from the part of the track where the saw sits. But my track appears to run true.

As you can see from the photos, I don't use the anti-chip edge on the edge of my track. You wouldn't be able to do this with the ACE installed.

TooManyToys
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Good use of a miniature story stick!

gunsmokenix
03-28-2014, 02:06 AM
go and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD6MQsdEMJs