PDA

View Full Version : Easing Cut Extrusion Edges

kenk
12-12-2017, 11:05 PM
How do you ease (soften/round-off/...) the sharp edges of freshly cut aluminum extrusions?

If it makes a difference I'm specifically talking about connector extrusions (regular and ridged), but I'd also be interested how it is done for SMEs, SSMEs and guide rails.

Ken

tomp913
12-13-2017, 12:38 AM
I have an Old Sears miter saw that I made auxiliary tables for to use when cutting extrusions. The one shown is for cutting connector extrusion and t-track. I get very minimal burrs on the edges because the material is backed up, and the non-ferrous blade makes a very smooth cut. If there are any burrs, or I don't want a sharp corner, I just dress them with a file. You may need something like a needle file to get inside some of the extrusions.

Dino
12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
hi guys.
A wire brush disk on the drill can do the job.
tx
d

tomp913
12-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes it will, but be sure to wear protective eyewear - a full-face shield is best- as the brush can shed wires and they can wind up in your eyes.

jkr
12-13-2017, 10:42 AM
How do you ease (soften/round-off/...) the sharp edges of freshly cut aluminum extrusions?
Ken

This looks exactly like the one I bought from Amazon a few years ago. If mine came with a second blade I've long since forgotten and lost it:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-482-Swivel-Deburring/dp/B00004T828/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513172274&sr=8-4&keywords=deburring+tool

There are others if you search for "deburring tool". For my purposes it's worked great. Easing cuts on extrusions.

Judd