PDA

View Full Version : Makita 5008MGA or 5402NA saw?

Bill Griggs
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Guys I need to cut materials such as 2x4 lumber. Which big Makita saw would you get if the price were right? I am looking at two used saws, the 8.25" and the 16 5/16" beam saw.

I can get the Beam saw for about the cost of the new 10" Makita.......

Decisions, decisions.

Bill

Burt
08-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Guys I need to cut materials such as 2x4 lumber. Which big Makita saw would you get if the price were right? I am looking at two used saws, the 8.25" and the 16 5/16" beam saw.

Decisions, decisions.

Bill

Both. I haven't used the 5402 but because of weight and size, I regard it as a special use saw only. If I had one, it would only get used maybe twice a year but when you need it no other circular saw can match the specs.

The 5008 is a good everyday use saw. You can use it to cut anything up to its 2 1/4" capacity on the rail.

Bottom line. If you need to do a lot of cutting over 2" the 5008 won't do it.

Burt

Bill Griggs
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Burt.

That was my initial assessment of the saws but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. The 10" saw looks nice too but don't think I can afford it really.

Will the 5008 fit the standard EZ base?

Bill

Mike Goetzke
08-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks Burt.

That was my initial assessment of the saws but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. The 10" saw looks nice too but don't think I can afford it really.

Bill

5008MGA - yes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Makita%205008MGA/IMG_2067.jpg

5104 - special base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Makita%205104/IMG_2729.jpg

Burt
08-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks Burt.

Bill

Bill,

You can use the standard base on the 5008. Also several of the guys run a 7 1/4" blade until they need the greater depth.

The 5104 is a beautiful saw. It impresses me more as a woodworking tool instead of as a construction tool. Once you put it on a bridge it is a real joy to use. Weight is no longer a factor.

Mike was nice enough to post photos of the two bases.

Burt

Dino
08-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Decisions, decisions.

Bill

Bill,
For 2x4's I stay with a normal saw 7-1/4" and get the right blade.
Blades come 7" - 7 1/8" -7-1/4"

the 8-1/4" is fine and the monster 16" is not for 2xs.

good luck
d.

staceyw
08-07-2010, 12:18 PM
The 5008 will get you down the road on most. I would keep the 8.25 blade in it as I seem to need it even for 2x stuff and don't want to be changing blades. I never thought I would need 10", but just the other day had to do a mailbox post on 6x6 and really needed it for the notch. Ended up going Amish on it with dull hand tools. :-) But wish I had the 10". Dino said before he likes the 10" for normal stuff too to overpower the work.

Ken
08-07-2010, 12:52 PM
When making a decision as to which saw to buy consider the cost of consumables and local availability. I have the 10" Makita and it is one sweet saw but I only use it when I need the depth of cut that it provides. It would cost more money over time to use because the blades are expensive compared to 7 1/4".

My main saw is the 5008mga with a 71/4" blade. The 40 tooth Diablos can be bought cheap, watch places like Amazon for specials. 8 1/4" blades are not always available locally and if they are the selection is poor. I keep a couple on hand and use them only when needed. I have no trouble cutting through 2X material with a 7 1/4" blade. Also you will find that there is a huge selection of blade types in this size that will cover all your needs. The 5008 provides economy when using 7 1/4" blades bought in bulk packs and local availability when you are in a bind plus the flexibility of using an 8 1/4" blade for depth of cut. I think that this is a great all around saw.

If you go for a 7 1/4" saw be careful as they will not all cut 2X material on the EZ rail. The 5007 will do it.

I would get the 5008 or 5007 first as either should cover your needs and add a larger saw later if you need the extra depth of cut.

While the 16 1/4" saw is very cool it is to big for normal use, more expensive blades, and less of a selection. It is not suited for every day work.

Randal Stevenson
08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Has anyone besides Robin, used the 16" on a regular basis? What type of work do they do?
Bill, are you able to physically inspect the saw before buying? I can tell you from experience, I bought a Bigfoot, sight unseen, and sent it off to Dino for fitting, only to find out the guard was damaged, and the fix cost was the cost of a new kit. A used 16" saw, the price of a new undamaged 10" saw, may be NO bargain.

Is the plan for the saw ONLY on a PBB/EZ one, or are you planning on Free rail guide work? Anyone here post of their experiences, using the 10" saw without the PBB/EZ one support? (give him some ideas of what you did and how awkward it was)