The Track Saw Forum

The Track Saw Forum (http://tracksawforum.com/index.php)
-   Rant, Rate, Rave & Review (http://tracksawforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   EZ 101 - New EZ stuff (http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4861)

sean9c 07-22-2017 01:51 PM

EZ 101 - New EZ stuff

Tried to reply to Dino's post, doesn't appear you can. Thought he asked for our input. Maybe he just doesn't want mine ;-)

bumpnstump 07-22-2017 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean9c (Post 39063)
Tried to reply to Dino's post, doesn't appear you can. Thought he asked for our input. Maybe he just doesn't want mine ;-)

I'd be interested in your input, Sean. I've been mulling over his request, but haven't come up with anything beneficial to share.
Rick
the pic is a screenshot of his posting.

sean9c 07-22-2017 04:09 PM

I kept it simple and practical ( I hope) at just a couple of things.
First EZ should have an accurate Square, like the TSO Products square for the euro tracks, you clamp it on and it's accurate and stays accurate. The UEG works great for ripping, the EZ Square is too slow to set up, too inaccurate and too easily bumped out of square. I quit using mine, too frustrating.
I also think the anti chip edges need a re-think, I understand the elegance of the original design but they're too loose in the track and move around too much. It's not long before they no longer indicate the cut line. I quit using them a while ago.
I threw in the Cabinetmaker, I like the idea of the tool and use mine a lot, and it works OK but it's clunky and finicky.

Also had to mention the long promised dedicated EZ Saw, no additional Base, better dust control, and same line bevel cutting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpnstump (Post 39064)
I'd be interested in your input, Sean. I've been mulling over his request, but haven't come up with anything beneficial to share.
Rick

mickey49 07-22-2017 08:27 PM

Suggested New Stuff

My earlier post didn't get through either.

I would like to see an attachment to allow the EZ-1 to be folded up against the wall of say your garage. The attachment (bracket) would allow the track to function when down. It would pivot up and out of the way when not used to save on floor space. It might also eliminate the need for the two rear legs.

I envision it sticking out from the wall about 15 to 18 inches. It could be attached at any height comfortable for the person using the EZ-1.

Dino 07-23-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumpnstump (Post 39064)
Rick

Sean and crew...
anything that makes ez better is welcomed.
Especially from Sean.

Sean, the last mold that we designed and made for the edges was to slide in and out easily but when the track is on top of the materials the movement stops.
Please, try once again using a good-flat material support.
But at the same time we're looking into solid edges and even edges that are similar to other systems. Nothing is off the table.

tx

Dino 07-23-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey49 (Post 39066)
My earlier post didn't get through either.

I would like to see an attachment to allow the EZ-1 to be folded up against the wall of say your garage. The attachment (bracket) would allow the track to function when down. It would pivot up and out of the way when not used to save on floor space. It might also eliminate the need for the two rear legs.

I envision it sticking out from the wall about 15 to 18 inches. It could be attached at any height comfortable for the person using the EZ-1.

Mickey, I think a retrofit can be easily done to make it the way you like.
only few brackets...we will try and post back.

tx
d

Dino 07-23-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean9c (Post 39063)

no way that I don't want your feedback and input.
forum issues?
tx
d

JamesMac 07-23-2017 10:55 AM

Dino,

If you guys come up with a new design for the edges etc, please don't go and get WILD ideas of a new guide rail design. Please make sure that the new edge design will be for the existing guide rail specs.

Also, I have seen several ideas of making a jig that incorporates an Incra miter guage etc that appeal to me. I also like one of your videos in which you somehow mounted and used a digital protractor to make miter cuts. I would like to see you guys sell something along those lines so that I can sell my miter saw! (If I sold my miter saw, I would need to seek therapy somewhere)

thanks,
Jim

tomp913 07-23-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean9c (Post 39065)
First EZ should have an accurate Square, like the TSO Products square for the euro tracks, you clamp it on and it's accurate and stays accurate.

The fixture that I made for setting the Cabinet Maker is quick and easy, takes about 15 seconds to set/check for square.

However, a square like the TSO would be fairly easy to do (think the latch clamp on the bottom of the square). One problem is that the design is patented, the other is that the potential sales are small, particularly compared to the Festool market. I'm not sure if you could get TSO to do a "One Time Tool", similar to Woodpeckers but I would think that they'd need some minimum quantity in order to amortize the engineering/programming and tooling costs without driving up the per piece price to unreasonable levels.

tomp913 07-23-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino (Post 39067)

But at the same time we're looking into solid edges and even edges that are similar to other systems. Nothing is off the table.

tx

I've been thinking about the solid ACE for a while, the hold-up has been the idea of having to plane some 3/4" thick vinyl trim down to 1/2" to match the track and the mess that would entail. However, I just found some 1/2" thick material at HD http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-1...WWS2/203733425 and the price is certainly right. Thinking that I could rip a bunch of over-width strips off the piece, set up the table saw to cut the top and bottom grooves and then run the strip through the router table to get the reduced thickness needed.