View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM

There's a number of ways the rails could lay higher then the table surface.
  • Miss cutting of the table grooves.
  • Over tightening of the rail mounting screws which would distort the metal under the screws head and raise the rail.
  • Non-straight rails lifting the end of the rails or waves between screws.
  • Debris under the rail.
  • High clamping forces when the clamps head is not over the top of the rail itself and the clamp track nut is away from a screw (this type of situation could always cause some distortion, especially with excessive settings with the vice grip type clamps).

I'd pull the rails and check then for straightness, distortion under the screws mounting locations and clearing any debris in the groove. Any company's clamp table like this that uses t-track rails are prone to the issues I noted. For the uses shown in the company images this should be fine for light clamping.

In order to not have those concerns you would have to go to a much more expensive design where the clamping tracks are more like the side extrusions but of a boxed nature where clamping forces have to deal with rails of a depth of 2" to 4". This is why when I built my cutting table I used 8020, so I could clamp with high forces when I used it as an assembly table.

Last edited by TooManyToys; 10-07-2015 at 08:36 PM.