View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Making a Solid ACE

I've toyed with this idea for a while, but didn't like the idea of running some 3/4" thick vinyl through my planer to get the 1/2" thickness to match the track given the mess that it was going to make.

I found some 1/2" (actually 12mm) trim at HD and so had run out of excuses. This material is a little thinner than the track, but I couldn't see that being a problem as long as I could have the one surface flush with the bottom of the track to provide the anti-chip feature - the 12mm thickness should be stiff enough to let the strip lay on the material being cut even without any pressure from the saw base.

I wrote up my procedure, here it is as a .pdf document. The whole process is actually pretty easy, but I did use a table saw and router table in order to make the strips, the challenge will be for somebody to figure out how to do it on an EZ1. Rick?

I'm not sure how durable the vinyl ACE will be long term, but there's always the option of making replacements out of UHMW - although that would be considerably more expensive. I'm hoping though that this is going to give me a nice consistent cut line indication.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Making a Solid Anti-Chip Strip (ACE).pdf (525.5 KB, 104 views)