Thread: Saw Blades
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM

Default Blade Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Woody View Post
Rick, this is very interesting.

However, you've said twice "PT is overkill for saws than can be used on the EZ tracks"

Can you explain?
Overkill HOW?
Where would it NOT be overkill? Roofing? Building decks? (that makes no sense)

And what exactly made it so great?

Also, most of us have a very good idea of how various tablesaw blades compare, for precision work. Is there some reason why those "ratings" would change when using a circ saw & track?

-thanks
I am not Rick but I will attempt an answer. Judging from the photos, Rick has the Popular Tools Professional series blade. As a dealer for Popular tools I can tell you that Tenryu and Popular Tools are almost the same in their Industrial line. I can say the blades that you buy from Woodcraft, Rockler or other woodworking stores do not have the Industrial lines level of quality. Popular Tools are supposed to be sold only through sharpening services or companies that sell sharpening supplies.
The Popular Tools Professional Series 7.25" 24 tooth retails for $8.50 and is almost the exact duplicate of the Irwin Marathon, the Popular Tools Professional Series 7.25" 40 tooth retails for $17. and is almost the exact duplicate of the Freud Diablo (without the paint).
The Industrial line of Popular Tools 7.25" is a whole different matter. Most of the Industrial line has C-4 or C-11 carbide. The 7.25" 40 tooth retails for $73. and the 7.25" 60 tooth retails for $82. I have both and I do not need the EZ AC-2 or the white strips on my track. I get glass smooth cuts in maple veneer 3/4" plywood or baltic birch 3/4". The Industrial line is a full kerf like the Tenryu or Woodworker series. The PT Industrial has much tougher carbide like the Tenryu. You will a vastly superior cut if you have the right bevel, higher tooth count, and larger carbide, which translates to much longer use from the blade per sharpening. Heat is the biggest factor for dulling a blade. Most blades reach 900 degrees where the blade meets the wood and dissipates immediately after leaving the material. The larger carbide the less heat damage. As a consequence the reason some have been disappointed with the resharpened blades is due to less carbide on the tip. That is not to say that a bad resharpening was not performed, just that if everything on bevel and grind is the same the carbide size does play an active part.

Knowing the work Rick has shown us on the forum it is not surprising that he was not sure the extra money would be worth it or whether the Tenryu or Popular tools is over kill. His comment makes perfect sense. The guy that is a framer, roofer, or remodels will not need the higher level of quality of the Tenryu or Popular Tools Industrial type blades that person will be fine with the Professional Series. The cabinet maker, furniture builder, finish carpenter will appreciate and value the higher quality Industrial blade. Also the plant that has a saw set up running around the clock cutting a series of parts needs the higher value of an Industrial blade.

The table saw does not have any degree of accuracy over the track. Convenience? I am sure that the table saw is much greater convenience. Not accuracy. Accuracy is a time and priority matter, not capability. The EZ track is in my opinion every bit as capable of accuracy that the table saw is, just fast on some cuts and slower on others. Bevel cuts with EZ can be done just as accurate as the table saw , but will require a greater amount of time, thought and attention to the work at hand.

I hope that answers your question.

A bit of background -- The supporters here at EZ are a patient lot. We have been through abuses galore. Including planted trouble makers and industrial spies. If you are not getting the answers you request, their is possibly a good reason. I ask every forum member to review their questions carefully. You may not be intending to come across as challenging or caustic, but that is quite possibly what is happening. You may have a genuine interest in learning and the members here are more than willing to share, but none are looking for a fight or argument. Please try to soften all questions, and you may get more help. No one wants to step in on a dog fight -- they might get bitten. If we are honest -- who wants to return a phone call to a person that is angry and looking for someone to take it out on? If you are not getting the returned phone calls there might be a reason -- look at the written questions or ranting.

Please remember that everything here on this forum is given in the spirit of friendship, and sharing.

Phil