View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Default Okay, I did my tests... - Denise Ohio

Between my PC Mag and the 5008. The PC Mag doesn't have an AC-2 (I can't remember where I put 'em), but I went ahead.

First rips on maple using the same rail I have been using. Same result---both saws definitely showed blade marks on the edge of the material. Not even close to a finished edge.

I swapped rails. Second rips on maple resulted in better edges, but still not finish level. The PC Mag's results looked better, even without the AC-2.

I swapped material. Third rips on cedar. The PC Mag's result was better than the 5008. The PC Mag gave me finished edges, while the 5008 showed saw blade marks.

Conclusions:

1. The first rail I was using may have something going on with it. I've used the rails a lot in all sorts of conditions, often as guide rails for 2x material with either the PC Mag off the rails or to guide my Bigfoot. Perhaps I bent the rail or did something else to it. It looks okay, but honestly, I didn't put it up against a straight edge or anything. I'll check that tomorrow.

2. Somethings up with the 5008. How do I go about checking/fixing the Smart Base?