The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Rant, Rate, Rave & Review

Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Default EZ-One cutting

I am finally getting to use my EZ-One a bit. I cut a bunch of 17"x23" panels out of a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood last night.

I know common practice here is to size the panels down on a smart table with either a free rail or the ripsizer, but I dragged that full sheet of ply onto my EZ-One just to see how it would go. It isn't all that difficult to work with a full sheet of 1/2" ply on the EZ-One. I'm sure 3/4" would be quite a bit more difficult. Even though it wasn't difficult, if I had a ripsizer, I would have used it for the 17" cuts.

I set a stop and knocked out the 17" crosscuts with the keeper under the rail, then reset my stops and knocked those panels down to 23" with the offcut under the rail.

I will say it is a bit easier for me to have the keeper under the rail. I just set a long ruler on the SME and drop the rail onto the ruler so the anti-chip edge sits on the 17" mark. Then I slide a stop up to the end of the ruler and lock it down. That was more intuitive for me than having to deal with the saw kerf when I had the off-cut under the rail. If I were to use the system this way all the time, I would really need to put the longer SMEs on the left side of the EZ-One, and I don't want to do that. I will have to adjust to the kerf as I get used to the system.

When I was done, I stacked the panels into a pile, lined them up and felt along the edges and they were all square and sized right on the money to each other. No chipout on the cut edges either.

I know I wasn't exactly stretching the capabilities of the system, but for my first "real" cuts on the EZ-One, I was pretty happy.

Tonight will be my first attempt with the SSRK. I will post back here how that goes.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswingchun View Post
I am finally getting to use my EZ-One a bit. I cut a bunch of 17"x23" panels out of a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood last night.

I know common practice here is to size the panels down on a smart table with either a free rail or the ripsizer, but I dragged that full sheet of ply onto my EZ-One just to see how it would go. It isn't all that difficult to work with a full sheet of 1/2" ply on the EZ-One. I'm sure 3/4" would be quite a bit more difficult. Even though it wasn't difficult, if I had a ripsizer, I would have used it for the 17" cuts.

I set a stop and knocked out the 17" crosscuts with the keeper under the rail, then reset my stops and knocked those panels down to 23" with the offcut under the rail.

I will say it is a bit easier for me to have the keeper under the rail. I just set a long ruler on the SME and drop the rail onto the ruler so the anti-chip edge sits on the 17" mark. Then I slide a stop up to the end of the ruler and lock it down. That was more intuitive for me than having to deal with the saw kerf when I had the off-cut under the rail. If I were to use the system this way all the time, I would really need to put the longer SMEs on the left side of the EZ-One, and I don't want to do that. I will have to adjust to the kerf as I get used to the system.

When I was done, I stacked the panels into a pile, lined them up and felt along the edges and they were all square and sized right on the money to each other. No chipout on the cut edges either.

I know I wasn't exactly stretching the capabilities of the system, but for my first "real" cuts on the EZ-One, I was pretty happy.

Tonight will be my first attempt with the SSRK. I will post back here how that goes.
'Glad to hear that you are enjoying the EZ One. Sometimes, I start on the EZ One like you did. That is one of the good things about the EZ System. You can choose the approach you wish to use for each job. Sometimes, I just like to try something different.

'Bet you have fun with the SSRK!

Burt
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
'Bet you have fun with the SSRK!
I did have fun with the SSRK. I had to cut five dadoes each in three of the panels I cut the day before. The dadoes had to match from panel to panel. It took me a bit to figure out the best way to go at it, but I set a stop on the EZ-One so I could do one dado on the first panel then drop the second panel against the stop and do the same dado in exactly the same spot. It worked really well, all my dadoes matched up perfectly. I had a few issues with the base of the SSRK rocking or tilting on the track, but I just need more time with it to get my technique better. I am going to do a bit more work with the SSRK tonight, I'm sure it will go easier and faster now that I have used it a few times.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
I did have fun with the SSRK. I had to cut five dadoes each in three of the panels I cut the day before. The dadoes had to match from panel to panel. It took me a bit to figure out the best way to go at it, but I set a stop on the EZ-One so I could do one dado on the first panel then drop the second panel against the stop and do the same dado in exactly the same spot. It worked really well, all my dadoes matched up perfectly. I had a few issues with the base of the SSRK rocking or tilting on the track, but I just need more time with it to get my technique better. I am going to do a bit more work with the SSRK tonight, I'm sure it will go easier and faster now that I have used it a few times.
Dado's like that are a piece of cake. I modified some of the old connector (the one we use for fences and stops) to include a flip stop on the end. When the stop is raised it stays out of the way of the edge of the connector so it can be used as a fence.

I can set up two of these and one normal double stop so I can do 3 dado's without removing the board from the table. This saves a bunch of time.

The more you use the SSRK the more you appreciate it. You mentioned that it took a bit to figure out the best way to set up for using the SSRK. There are always options with the EZ. What is best for one job may not be best for the next job.

The EZ keeps you growing - expanding your choices as you see new possibilities.

Enjoy!!!

Burt
Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I found this too (on my model). I noted that when tightened up the In/out adjustment in the carrier, the clamp arrangement would lift the router and base plate up about 3-4mm. THis was enough to cause the weight of the router and base plate to tilt down and lift the carrier off the rail.

The solution I found was to
- first loosen the up/down adjust enough to let it slide but not have much freeplay.
- establish my In/Out adjust to my cut line.
-Tighten the In/Out and the slip in the up/down will compensate for the clamp lift.
-Then with the base flat on your stock and the carrier flat on the rail, tighten the up/down.

Be also aware that the grub screws that set the clearance between your carrier and guide rib on the rail will over time creep out. This can induce a wobble in your cut. I needed to apply a light amount of pressure when guiding the cut to compensate for this
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood Mike View Post
I found this too (on my model). I noted that when tightened up the In/out adjustment in the carrier, the clamp arrangement would lift the router and base plate up about 3-4mm. THis was enough to cause the weight of the router and base plate to tilt down and lift the carrier off the rail.

The solution I found was to
- first loosen the up/down adjust enough to let it slide but not have much freeplay.
- establish my In/Out adjust to my cut line.
-Tighten the In/Out and the slip in the up/down will compensate for the clamp lift.
-Then with the base flat on your stock and the carrier flat on the rail, tighten the up/down.

Be also aware that the grub screws that set the clearance between your carrier and guide rib on the rail will over time creep out. This can induce a wobble in your cut. I needed to apply a light amount of pressure when guiding the cut to compensate for this
mike, post some pictures of your ssrk with details.
you may have to get the free upgrade on the sliding part.
the set screws now dont play any role except to keep it captive if needed.
hard to say without pic's.

tx
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:

About time...

Imagine after few cuts and few mistakes?
The more mistakes...the better you get...

good to see the first use feedbacks.
Trust is all you need and few screws to make sure nothing moves.
goog luck.