The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 PM

Default EZ-Square for my cordless Makita

There is an aftermarket square for the Festool and Makita called GRS-16PE. It costs $180! Took a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminum, piece of SME, and a draw clamp.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Very nice! I drew up a similar idea using an Incra V27 but haven't actually done anything. Thanks for the pics!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 PM

Nice job, Mike! Where did you find the latch? The ones I saw on Amazon have two parts.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Nice job, Mike! Where did you find the latch? The ones I saw on Amazon have two parts.
Thanks! Someday Iíll pretty it up but Iíve used it a few time already and it works great.

Here are the clamps I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076F...op_mb_pd_title

Mike
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanks, Mike! The key is that locking clamp in conjunction with the straight edge and bombproof squaring with bolts. Plus quick and easy setup, which means that you don't have to decide whether it's worth the setup to use it. All other squares from what I can see are too fiddly and also somewhat fickle. If you read about user experiences with squares from the EZ version to the expensive festool ones, you'll see this. This one is immune to error, which is the attraction of the GRS-16 item you mentioned. Also I'm guessing not subject to being knocked out of square unless dropped from a height, etc.

Next question is whether there is a way to make such a square for EZ track that is "clip and go" right out of the box and never deviates, never fiddly or fickle. One that is quick, easy, immune to error. It will be non-adjustable for other angles, square only, but then most cuts needed are right angle cuts only.

This is where tracksaw systems can do more of what you can do with table saws.