The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Makita 5008MGA and Black Base

I just got a 5008MGA and it came already with the dust port and mounted on a base. It is a black base and doesn't have any holes for mounting to the UEG.

I am not concerned so much about mounting it to the UEG, but I am wondering about this black base. Sitting on the track, it seems to want to tip off towards the blade side.

Is there something I can do, or add to it to make it more stable on the track? Counterweight, or hook or something? I can't be the first one to notice this. Or is this a known problem with the black base that was somehow addressed by the grey base?

Ideas?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM

the chip guard on the waste side of the blade should balance it. maybe the seller didn't include it.

on the old moduni bases, it wasn't a slide insert, but a long and wide half inch piece of hpde. you can just use a piece of ply or mdf instead

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM

I think this one has the slide inserts. I have a pile of them that came with it. I will see if one will do it. But this is tippy when I lift up the bridge, I am not sure if the chip guard would be much help in that case. But I will give it a try. It would be nice if there were a way to grip that center rail a little more, perhaps a skinny rib or something. Something to engage those side ridges on it maybe?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Oh if it's a problem with the bridge up, then it probably won't help

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 PM

I am having trouble imagining what could possibly be going on... I have that saw...the center of gravity is well over the track, the base I have makes contact on the cutting side out to the edge of the track, so it seems quite stable. I think I have a moduni base, though.

I suppose that if the part of the base that is on the center ridge of the track is too shallow, or has some casting stuff still in it or something like that, it would make it unstable because it isn't sitting down all the way on the track...
Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 AM

I don't think this is the moduini base. It seems like injection molded black plastic, perhaps ABS or something similar. It is fairly small in that it is fairly tight to the saw's base itself. There is a picture in the other thread here: http://tracksawforum.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=2

I have yet to play much with it, but it just feels like it wants to tip bladeside. I will get some closer time with it this weekend and know for sure.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Looking at the pic it's just the older EZ Base. The weight of the saw is pretty centered over the track so it shouldn't be tippy. Put a straight edge on the Base just to make sure it's flat. If the saw's blade depth adjustment is set to cut pretty shallow the saw is tall so it feels like it is easier to tip. I've always thought that the whole set up feels much more solid with the blade adjustment all the way down and that should be the default setup unless you needed to make a shallow cut. Of course that'd mean a whole new EZ-1 design so you don't cut it in half.
Another thing, the grey anti chip inserts work in the black Base
Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Blade depth all the way down is not going to work for me, definitely don't want to cut my system in half.

I will fool around with it this weekend, after I extend my track (gotta cut and tap some connection extrusions).

Perhaps even just having the ACE's in the track will make a difference. After all it was just a first impression, and was not like the saw was actually going to fall off when it was just sitting there.

I still think a little rib to engage that groove might be a good thing, or perhaps an out rigger to grip the outside t-slot might help make me feel more secure.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Are you using the right groove on the bottom of the black base? The groove closest to the blade is for normal ripping at 90 degrees and the groove farthest from the blade is used for your bevel cuts .
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 PM

yes, I am using the groove closest to the blade. I assume if I were to use the other one it would seriously be tippy.

I will add a piece of ACE and see if that makes any difference. I have never had a saw on the track with no ACE in it at all. That could have something to do with it.