The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 05-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Smile Ez-1 conversion

Hi. So, itís been a year or two...or 6...since I was here last.

Has anyone converted their EZ-1 from the old style with the beam to the new style with the sliding rails? Is it possible? I can guess what parts it would require, but is their a list? Or was there some design change that makes it difficult?

Iím finishing up a large washer/dryer pedestal for the wife, and see a lot more woodworking in my future than in the last few years. :-)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:47 PM

I'd wonder why you'd bother to change. Is there something about the version that you have that you don't like?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM

I get the feeling that the conversion from the beamed EZ1 to the current one was mostly for simplicity and maybe cost reduction - rather than for easier usage.

From what Dino has been saying, the future changes will be for similar reasons.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:42 PM

I get the feeling that the conversion from the beamed EZ1 to the current one was mostly for simplicity and maybe cost reduction - rather than for easier usage.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post

Hi.
The sliding fences allows for drop-in modules and unlimited versatility.
The goal is to lower the prices ( always) and offer more usage.

The current design is very flexible and ready for many new applications
that are under testing and development for the last 4-5 years.
We will see few hick-ups on the way to ez simplicity and unlimited versatility.
I hope we all stay strong for the last ez push.

Going from dino's ez to ez for all people and applications is not easy.
New tools systems, ways and more are under development and we will start in 1-2 weeks...with the arrival of the Pyramids and the new UEG.

tx
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Drop in module

Would it be possible for you to show us an example of what a drop in module might look like and what could be done with it I'm also looking forward to seeing some ideas of your new pyramids and what they might be used for . I myself have always had and easy one table but after reading all the videos I always thought maybe the old being Style table was better with the beam under the bridge was the best but I haven't seen much Conversation as to why the sliding tops are better I myself like the fence to be at the top of the table as the wood seems to always want to walk forward
When the Bridge is lowered or possibly the height of my bridge is wrong although listening to what you say it wouldn't be possible
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM

I imagine common drop in modules would just be something like a router table or clamping station, or a stand for your miter saw. Bolt whatever tool to a 3/4" piece of plywood and stick it between the sliding extrusions

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Drop in module miter Saw

I can understand how you might pull your chopsaw to a plywood pieces of wood and lay in it in and the sliding rails of the easy one but that would require you to have to take the bridge off and I know it takes me a long time to get my bridge square to the rails and that is not something I would want to have to do very often
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
I can understand how you might pull your chopsaw to a plywood pieces of wood and lay in it in and the sliding rails of the easy one but that would require you to have to take the bridge off and I know it takes me a long time to get my bridge square to the rails and that is not something I would want to have to do very often
How about drilling and threading a set screw into your four bridge connector (the ones in the SME) so it is locked in place whenever you remove and replace the bridge? Height can be aligned by just marking the bolt location with a piece of tape. I'm sure others can come up with a more elegant solution

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM

I think by "drop-in modules" Dino is indicating that the sliding rails allow placement of 3/4" plywood (or similar material) into the recesses area between squaring/sliding rails. This is shown in the pics shown in the EZ-ONE web site.

The drop-in module can be just plain plywood to act as a table, a table with something attached to it - such as a Kreg Jig, or a jig that is fastened to that plywood for whatever purpose - such as the Drawer Body Jig. Your usage of the drop-in ability is limited only by your imagination.

Because the rails slide, that drop-in module can be as long as needed - so long as it fits between a set of rails. It can be as wide as the rails are long (or I guess longer), though if in place during a cut it will be cut by the saw.

Last edited by kenk; 06-06-2018 at 06:52 PM.