The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Default Jammin' w/SSRK

In doing a project, I had a 1/2" Baltic birch ply panel that I needed to whittle down in the middle, both to reduce weight, and, to allow sawdust to fall thru. I could have done the whittling any way I chose: multitude of round holes; square holes; triangular; random; combination; whatever. The outside measurements needed to remain straight and unmodified, and the entire panel needed to retain enough integrity so as to not be flimsy. What the heck, I thought, let's put the SSRK to the test.
I chose a square pattern, based on a 6" square cut-out, leaving 2" of wood between each cut-out, and 2" around the edges. Then, I laid out that pattern, using the exact center of the panel as my pivot point and rotated it 30˚.
The panel is actually for my new PBB, which I designed to have sliding and pivoting bridges, and, to be able to be used either crossways, or, lengthways. So, after setting the bridge/track to 30˚, I laid out the pattern on the panel. (See pic 1.)
From there, it was time to set up the SSRK and go to work. Utilizing the stops on the SSRK, and the stops on the track, it was just a matter of 'how fast can you rout'. (Pic 2.)
After I did the 30˚/60˚ routs, I set the bridge to be 90˚ across the short section of the PBB and routed the ends. (See pic. 3)
Once that was done, I slid the bridge assemblies to the ends of the table and, using a longer piece of track, routed the sides of the panel. (See pic 4.)
The end result is what you see in pic 5. All I lack is a bit of sanding, and running a round-over bit inside of each cut-out, and I'm finished.

I've done things similar to this in pre-EZ days, and decided I'd never do them again just due to the sheer lay-out nightmare. Now, tho, because of what the SSRK offers in terms of precision, repeatability, ease of set-up and use, etc., I'm looking for more 'odd-ball' stuff to rout.
I'm having fun! (but please don't tell the bosses- they might take my job away if they know I'm enjoying it so much…..)
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB panel-  layout.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	4208   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB panel-  30˚ routing.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	4209   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB panel-  end routing.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	4210   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB panel-  long routing.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	4211   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB panel-  finished.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4212  

Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM

That is slick. The pivoting bridge has piqued my interest. I have tinkered around with some ideas for it in Sketchup but nothing constructed yet.

Joe
Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Master Carpenter

Rick, I think we need a sub-forum with your ez challenges.
We have many pro's that they can highlight their creations in a special forum.
Nothing but smart projects.

tx for posting.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Rick, I think we need a sub-forum with your ez challenges.
We have many pro's that they can highlight their creations in a special forum.
Nothing but smart projects.

tx for posting.
Dino, the problem, as you've correctly stated before, is, "EZ is talking to you Rick". lol So true!
I think I'm about to take a break tho; I've got so many EZ ideas, that I can't get to them all. bummer.......
thnx,
Rick
Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Dino, the problem, as you've correctly stated before, is, "EZ is talking to you Rick". lol So true!
I think I'm about to take a break tho; I've got so many EZ ideas, that I can't get to them all. bummer.......
thnx,
Rick
Rick,

I'm seriously considering starting a list of projects I neecd to get to. Dik said it correctly, "So many ideas. So little time."

Burt
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Rick,

I'm seriously considering starting a list of projects I neecd to get to. Dik said it correctly, "So many ideas. So little time."

Burt
Well, Burt, in my case, my wife already has a list of projects she wants done. Funny, tho, I can't seem to read her handwriting on that list.
(Am I in trouble yet?)
Rick
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Well, Burt, in my case, my wife already has a list of projects she wants done. Funny, tho, I can't seem to read her handwriting on that list.
(Am I in trouble yet?)
Rick
Rcik,

My wife would reply, "You're working on it."

Burt