The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 09-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Default extrusions?

Hello All, been a while! Working up a new two table design to fit my 'very portable' needs. Sort of a modular Joiners bench with power tool accommodations. Two tops, maybe 18" or 24" x 48" each. These will be torsion boxes with dog holes, deep enough to accommodate the bridge / hold downs / square vertical side clamping (to the floor for panels/doors)

Now most of my ez stuff is probably 8 years old and I have not had the newer extrusions in my hands. I have (2) 2' sections of track, (2) 50" sections of track and (2) 1' sections of sme. So I am not familiar with the newer bits to figure the best extrusion to wrap the aprons of these tables.

Here is the thing: This design requires the ability to join the two tops together in any configuration. That is, join them together end to end and get a 2'x8' table or a 4'x4' table or a T shape or an L shape. By 'join together' I mean join together stoutly, so well that the two become one without deflection.

I know I can do this with nuts and bolts through the aprons but that will obviously require an opening around the bottom of the table at the apron to fit me hands into / weaken the torsion box, or some unknown hardware.

Question: would any of the extrusions allow the sliding, rigid face to face connection I require?

I have not settled on a leg/support design yet but it will have to either fold up easily or maybe just lock onto my tool boxes as a base (version 3 in the works also) I can see how using an extrusion for the Legs can also accommodate the panel clamping requirement...

I realize this is a lot to ask of a table (since I have seen none quite like it) but I think it is possible. Acknowledge all possible designs, then KISS it!

Chris
Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Welcome Chris,

Have you considered changing up your construction from a torsion box design?

I built a portable table base, presently 27x48", using 80/20's HT (square holey tube) for the upper frame, with pieces of 4.5" L in the corners to add rigidity and connect the legs. The HT would allow you to easily bolt together in whatever configuration you'd need. With the holes, it is easy to add/remove whatever you might need on the tops or sides, such as SME, SSME or B2B for a bridge setup; multiform table top; plywood for a benchtop or whatever you need. The strength seems fine, and no wobble in my very limited use.

Good luck,
Roy
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Few things are impossible but at what price! I've worked with all of the EZ extrusions and don't think what you are talking about is possible with them. You can join two pieces of table top together and get a good joint but it is another story when you require it to function as one.

Burt
Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Roy, thanks for the tip on the 80/20 stuff. that falls into the category of unknown fasteners. Or more accurately, forgotten fasteners. I bookmarked that years ago, probably from the sawmill creek forum! It does open some possibilities! Think I will pay the local distributor a visit this week

Burt, this is what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation. Makes me wonder about some more hardware I do not know to exist. Imagine something like an automobile rear differential. Apply this concept to a 3 screw piece that would draw two sme together face to face. Hmmm, Detroit still has some engineering/prototyping facilities I could access...

Onward, into the unknown!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Default Paulk Ultimate Work Bench

Have you considered the Ultimate Work Bench as designed by Ron Paulk?

[URL="http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/09/the-ultimate-work-bench/"]

The size could be modified to suit your requirements, the cutouts in the sides could be configured to allow access to the fasteners needed to join the sections together and the height of the sides could be adjusted to accommodate the bridge attachment, You would need some method - dowels, splines, etc. - to assure that the top surfaces are aligned when bolted together, but that should be relatively easy to do. The tops could be configured three ways - side by side (48" x 48"), end to end (24" x 96") or in an L-configuration, you would just need to add the connecting hardware as needed.

Tom
Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Have you considered the Ultimate Work Bench as designed by Ron Paulk?

[URL="http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/09/the-ultimate-work-bench/"]

The size could be modified to suit your requirements, the cutouts in the sides could be configured to allow access to the fasteners needed to join the sections together and the height of the sides could be adjusted to accommodate the bridge attachment, You would need some method - dowels, splines, etc. - to assure that the top surfaces are aligned when bolted together, but that should be relatively easy to do. The tops could be configured three ways - side by side (48" x 48"), end to end (24" x 96") or in an L-configuration, you would just need to add the connecting hardware as needed.

Tom
I do like what Ron has come up with even though he has a lot of FT he does use the best tools for the job in his dealings. His table and mobile workshop are done very nice and easy. He does have a jig for the track and the EZ track can be setup to do the same.