The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 05-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
First of all, thank you for your service and welcome to the forum!
Thank you...it has been a blessing and an honor to serve my country for as many years as I have!

Quote:
Like you, I considered many options before deciding on the EZ System. While there is a learning curve, mostly adjusting your thought process, the safety, cost savings, and ease of use make it completely worth it.

If you don't think the "Max" is overkill and you have the room, go for it. I built my own 4'X4' PBB and love it. I also really like the SSRK (super smart router kit). I also really like the UEG (universal edge guide) but it may not be necessary with the Max.
Thanks for pointing out that I may not need the UEG...I will have to check with Eureka to see if they have an opinion on this. If I don't need it with the Max, I wonder if it might be useful for some other functions?

Quote:
I have an additional 60" rail for my portable setup. You can't go wrong with extra stops and bench clamps. You might as well go for the 8 1/4" Makita to recover the depth of cut you lose from the EZ base. Some 7 1/4" saws can't cut 2x material once attached to it. Oh, a quality, full kerf blade will save you from a lot of frustration.
I have already decided that I am going to go with the 8 1/4" Makita...no real reason I can see (other than additional cost) to not go that route right now so that one is a definite.

Quote:
You might consider a repeater but to me it's an option for a portable setup. I prefer to set my stops for repeated cuts.

A couple of other things to consider is how to accurately square up your table and cut accurate miters. I bought a large, high quality square and adapted a quality miter gauge for these tasks.
Good point...I have two big box store squares that are probably 20 years old and would probably not trust them to be all that square...been a while since I checked them. Probably time to see what is out there that has some semblance of squareness.

Quote:
The beauty of the EZSmart system is that it can be infinitely customized and the guys on this forum share a wealth of experience. They have saved me a lot time figuring out how to do certain tasks.
I have read quite a few posts on this forum and there are certainly some dedicated and ingenious woodworkers here who seem to share their knowledge and their trial and error failures and successes.

Quote:
Finally, Joe's BBQ, there in Alvin, used to brag about being Nolan Ryan's favorite BBQ joint. Might be worth checking out the BBQ nachos, if they're still there.
I am 2.1 miles from Joe's. It has been a little while since we were last there and haven't had the nachos. I do like there BBQ but like what I have had on trips to Texas Hill Country a lot better. Still, it is very good and a neat place to go in a small town like Alvin.

Regarding Nolan Ryan...according to all of the old time neighbors on our road (CR 155) Nolan grew up on our same road about a mile from us...I still haven't been able to figure out exactly where that is at but will at some point. BTW...my grown son has always been a huge Nolan Ryan fan. He named his first son Nolan Ryan Steinmetz...it is pretty ironic that 4 years after his birth we moved to Alvin!
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Thanks for your many years of service Larry. You are a hero to me!!
Hi Ken...thank you...it was truly an honor. My son is also in the Coast Guard going on 13 years and is waiting to find out when he makes Chief...pretty excited about that!

Quote:
A few extra clamps (smart clamps and/or bench clamps) could be useful, but time will tell.
Clamps of all types seem to be something I never have enough of. Additional clamps may be something that I hold off on until I figure out how to use the set-up...I'm sure it won't be long though before I am placing an order for more.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
On a slightly different note, I tend to think that a nice compound miter saw provides a nice compliment to the EZ tools. Even there I make sure to clamp the wood to avoid accidents.
I have a pretty decent Ridgid 12" compound miter saw on a portable stand that is going on 13 years old but I have been looking at something else that I can set up permanently in the shop for when I need to make more accurate cuts. I haven't really decided on which one yet and need to put a little more research into what is currently available. I will keep the Ridgid for jobs where I am working primarily with construction lumber.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty View Post
I agree with most of what has been said. The only mistake I made getting into the Eureka Zone system is that I mount a 7 1/4" saw on a saw base. Don't waste the effort go right to the 8 1/4" Makita saw. This way you can get full advantage of the "system" from the get go. That Makita 8 1/4" magnesium is not any heavier that a standard 7 1/4" circular saw. I purchased the Universal Edge Guide (UEG) first and it is fantastic for cutting plywood.
My next purchase is going to be the bridge. I think you start, learn the system and grow with the system. There is a learning curve, it you are a traditionally trained woodworker.
IMO, Eureka Zone system does not replace theff table saw in your shop. At least it has not for me. I will probably get "taken to task" on that statement. But, specifically, ripping a 12' 2x6 in half is done on a table saw in about 20 seconds and to do that with the EZ system it requires turning over the 2x6 to get through with a 7 1/4" saw. So, that is my point on using a 8 1/4' saw. With the 8 1/4" saw its done with one pass on one side. 2x material in construction is pretty standard stuff.
Glad you're here welcome
Marty
Thanks for the welcome Marty and for your comments. I am very torn about whether to get a table saw or not. Truth be told, I would LOVE to have an 8.5' sliding table saw but haven't been able to find one close that is used and reasonable and a new one would blow through the majority of the shop allowance the family banker has given me. I have also thought about a SawStop but think I would still need a tracksaw set-up for breaking down panels.

Last edited by LPSteinmetz; 05-22-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 05-22-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
I live up in Gainesville tx. And have lots of accessories I have never used. Would give them to you. Send me you email am
And I could give you more details, but I need to down size and looking for a good home for your needs. I would definetly go see Rick as he seems to have mastered the easy one system as Dino has gotten busy with other interests.
think about a 8" saw and the Eugenia for cutting those strips of plywood.
Twelch2113 at aol.com. Tom Welch
Thanks Tom...you are way too generous! I sent you a PM to discuss what you have and a fair price.

I will look into the Eugenia as I am not certain what that is. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:46 PM

BTW...apologize for the multiple posts...I thought about replying to everyone in one message but I thought that would make it too unreadable.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Larry,
sounds like you've a good head of steam driving you forward! Good on ya!! We're all hoping to see pics of your journey as you go forward.

Re. squaring the track on the EZ tables:
-I don't fully trust squares- even the ones I know to actually BE square. An easier way for me to square my track-to-front-stops on my EZ-1 is shown in the pics.

Pic one shows a 'square' w/the short leg fully contacting the track, and then slid down to abut the black 'stop' that is snug against the track. Once the square is in position, I measure from the far end of the track to the farthest point of the square. Pic two shows replicating the procedure on the other side of the track.
If the two measures are not exactly the same, I loosen and move the rear bridge ~1/2 of the difference between the measurements; repeat the process till the measurements are the same. This method works whether you use a 'square' square, or not. In reality, all you need is something with two straight edges- one goes against the track; the other is the measure-to point.
hth,
Rick
ps I understand about needing to be near home for the time being. Should things change, send me a pm- maybe we can do Cooper's BBQ in Llano.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	6884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3025.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	6885  
Old 05-22-2016, 04:32 PM

So, how does one put in a pool with the EZ system?? Heh heh heh

Last edited by kenk; 05-22-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
So, how does one put in a pool with the EZ system?? Heh heh heh
Well, this could be an issue...I assumed there was an EZ Gunite attachment that could be purchased with the system!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Larry,
sounds like you've a good head of steam driving you forward! Good on ya!! We're all hoping to see pics of your journey as you go forward.

Re. squaring the track on the EZ tables:
-I don't fully trust squares- even the ones I know to actually BE square. An easier way for me to square my track-to-front-stops on my EZ-1 is shown in the pics.

Pic one shows a 'square' w/the short leg fully contacting the track, and then slid down to abut the black 'stop' that is snug against the track. Once the square is in position, I measure from the far end of the track to the farthest point of the square. Pic two shows replicating the procedure on the other side of the track.
If the two measures are not exactly the same, I loosen and move the rear bridge ~1/2 of the difference between the measurements; repeat the process till the measurements are the same. This method works whether you use a 'square' square, or not. In reality, all you need is something with two straight edges- one goes against the track; the other is the measure-to point.
hth,
Rick
Thanks for including the pics and the description...that looks like a surefire way of checking for square!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
ps I understand about needing to be near home for the time being. Should things change, send me a pm- maybe we can do Cooper's BBQ in Llano.....
Oh man...putting the "hard sell" on with the BBQ. I will definitely keep your offer in mind and see if we can't figure out a time to give ourselves a little vacation over in Hill Country.