The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 01-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Default Will it work

Hi I am fixing to buy a new saw and have been eyeing the Makita 5377mg, the problem is that I am unable to determine the dimensions of the base (called Makita and even they don't know the dimension of the base) so I am not able to see if this saw will work with the universal base or if I am going to have to go the route of purchasing the moudini base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt in Kansas City
Old 01-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_matt View Post
Hi I am fixing to buy a new saw and have been eyeing the Makita 5377mg, the problem is that I am unable to determine the dimensions of the base (called Makita and even they don't know the dimension of the base) so I am not able to see if this saw will work with the universal base or if I am going to have to go the route of purchasing the moudini base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt in Kansas City
Hi, Matt.

Your title reminded me of these guys: http://www.willitblend.com/

I'm surprised that Makita couldn't walk out to the warehouse and measure the base for you.

I don't have one of the saws to measure the base, but I'm confident you could call a local (or not so local) makita dealer and have them measure it for you.
Rick
Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 PM

see I thought the same thing, but the local dealers seem to all be Home Depots and they don't stock this saw locally so I am going to have to order online and I don't want to buy it if it is not going to work with this base.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM

The part on eReplacement Parts looks like 6x13\

Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Of course. 6 of what and 13 of what ? Considering it is only a 7-1/4 saw. I would guess the plate is likely inches. But that is just a guess.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_matt View Post
see I thought the same thing, but the local dealers seem to all be Home Depots and they don't stock this saw locally so I am going to have to order online and I don't want to buy it if it is not going to work with this base.
Perhaps try calling/visiting one of the service places in your area:
http://www.service-center-locator.co...y-missouri.htm
They might have one sitting on the workbench and can measure it for you.
Rick
Old 01-27-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
Of course. 6 of what and 13 of what ? Considering it is only a 7-1/4 saw. I would guess the plate is likely inches. But that is just a guess.
I'm not sure if this helps, but here is Makita parts site picture of a Makita 5007MGA Rear Cover Set - that covers the non-blade side of the motor housing.

The diameter of the Rear Cover Set is 3-5/8 squares.

I measured the diameter of Rear Cover Set on my own 5007MGA to be ... 3-5/8". That means that the Makita parts grid is indeed 1 inch by 1 inch.

Now, your only problem is that the base picture seems to be tilted - I wish they'd laid it flat and taken the picture of the other top side.

If it helps, the dimensions of the base of my 5007MGA are 6-11/16" total width, 11-3/8" total length, and that short upper right side (in the picture below) - excluding the clipped corner - is 8" long. Hopefully you can use those dimensions to determine the side of the saw base you would like to order. Hopefully!!

This is the picture of the 5007MGA base on the left (with the clipped corner) and the base for the Makita 5377MG on the right:

Old 01-27-2017, 11:14 PM

I found an end view picture of the Makita 5377MG - with the inch scale. It looks to be 5-1/8" wide.

Maybe you can use that width dimension with the previous post's part picture to figure out the length of the base.

Ah ha! I found listed dimensions in the following Amazon.com part listing ... "13 x 5 x 0.2 inches":
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-318071.../dp/B010BW35SK

I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are, but it matches the narrow dimension pretty well.

Last edited by kenk; 01-27-2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Found the Amazon.com link

Tags
5377mg, base, makita