The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > EZ Forums Archive > EZ Tools

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Default A few quick questions: - Howard Phillips

I've just tried my 5008 and am not 100% happy yet. Using a 7 1/4 diablo blade it left quite a few marks in the cut. But I'm sure it just needs some adjusting.

On to the questions (I didn't think each deserved its own post) :

1) Have you guys noticed that the 5008 sounds underpowered? I'm not saying it is, it's seemed to work well so far in terms of power, but it's very, very quiet. Almost sounds like a sewing machine.

2) Do any of the bridge users put anti-skid tape on the rail when in use on the bridge? My work seems to be slipping a bit. (Do places like Home D sell the tape)

3) On all of my saws (including my new 5008) , the blade guard catches on the rail, usually when starting the cut. Any solutions?

4) What sort of wax is usually used on the rail and where can I aquire it?

I'm sure there'll be more to come.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Burt Waddell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Phillips [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dik/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I've just tried my 5008 and am not 100% happy yet. Using a 7 1/4 diablo blade it left quite a few marks in the cut. But I'm sure it just needs some adjusting.

1) Have you guys noticed that the 5008 sounds underpowered? I'm not saying it is, it's seemed to work well so far in terms of power, but it's very, very quiet. Almost sounds like a sewing machine.

Welcome to the joys of working with Makita tools.

2) Do any of the bridge users put anti-skid tape on the rail when in use on the bridge? My work seems to be slipping a bit. (Do places like Home D sell the tape)

I do not use an anti skid tape. Dino has one available.

3) On all of my saws (including my new 5008) , the blade guard catches on the rail, usually when starting the cut. Any solutions?

The only solution I have found is to remember what saw I am using and the best way to cope with it. Usually, I don't pickup the saw when using the bridge so normally there is not a problem.

4) What sort of wax is usually used on the rail and where can I aquire it?

I personally use a spray called "Top Cote". Min Wax and Johnson's paste wax are good also.
I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Enjoy the 5008. They are nice saws.

Burt
Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Mike Goetzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Phillips [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dik/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I had this issue with my big Makita 5104 but the guard was just at the end of the aluminum. So all I did was file the rails anti-chip down to make it nice and rounded and this solved the problem. Maybe you could do the same to the edge of the rail - just make a gentler/tapered entrance for the blade guard.

Mike
Closed Thread