The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Forum

Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Spammers

Just thought you would like to know:

Over the nearly year and a half that we have been open for business here at the forum, there have been over 50,700 requests for registration, that is an average of about 95 a day (of late it has been about 190 a day).

From those we have gotten 832 registered members.

There are an additional 81 members that are on probation because there was something not quite right about their request. These 81 have never posted, so I do not know, but do suspect that they are really spammers that are blocked by the additional hurdles they have to go through to post.

That leaves in the neighborhood of 49,900 spammers that have either been rejected by our software or reviewed and rejected by me.

If it were not for the anti-spammer software that we run, I would have given up management of the forum long ago.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Dik,

Thank you for all of your hard. It certainly make it a pleasant experience for all of us.

Burt
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the hard work keeping spammers out. what a waste of time caused by the spammers. It must be very frustrating and I was mad because the email and fax machines were down for 2 days in the code enforcement offices for the city of Asheville.
Andy
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Until I started this forum, I never realized how bad it was. It is hard to imagine the huge amount of wasted resources and energy these childish and malevolent persons are responsible for.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Dik

I would like to thank you for the info also and all the work you do on are behalf Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Also adding my thanks to you for the generally thankless job of running a good forum.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM

This is an old thread, but I'd like to add my thanks to you, Dik. This is a wonderful forum with invaluable information, and quite easy to read through for a a new person like me. So many other forums have distracting spam and it makes it hard to glean information from them.

Katie
Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Until I started this forum, I never realized how bad it was. It is hard to imagine the huge amount of wasted resources and energy these childish and malevolent persons are responsible for.
Dik,
As always, Thanks for all you do! I didn't even think about spammers until Katie brought this thread to my attention. It definitely is nice not having to deal with them and keeping the focus on "EZ".

Bruce H. (EZ Thief)
EZ One PBB, 27" Ripsizer, Cabinetmaker w/extra repeater, PBB to STK, STK, Dual SSRK w/stops, SRK, 1-72" EZ Track, 2-50" EZ Tracks, 36", 24" EZ Tracks, EZ Miter Square w/Handle, 2 Sets Smart Clamps w/upgrade, Long Smart Clamps, Makita 5008 MGA CS w/dust collector and shield, Hilti WSC 267-E, DIY SPK and a UEG.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Dik,
Ditto on the thank you from me as well. This is probably the most enjoyable and informative forums that I visit on a regular basis. All are treated with respect even when in disagreement...you can always feel the love! :-)

Your blog is great too!

JR
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM

I’m going to revive this old thread as this has been bugging me for some time.

I do get it about spammers. Some of the forums I participate in also have spam issues and it might take a few hours to see their posting disappear. Larger forums they quickly go away. It all depends on the software as well as how many people there are to clean up the site.

However ……

I’ve been a long time owner of EZ products, although have not done much with them in the past years. Although a member over at SawMillCreek, I was more of a lurker so I would expect no one here to know me. But being on this site for the last few months I’ve been amazed at the lack of traffic.

When I tried to log into this site I was blocked from doing so. I tried various email address under my AOL, Yahoo and Version accounts. I finally contacted the admin who stated that some of the spammer identification software being used may be blocking me if me address was ever hijacked. It was after googling and going through the services. So I responded I’m not spam, gave my SMC id and hoped to get registered. Crickets.

Not being one to be ignored, this became a mission from god (Blues Brothers).
  • Retried logging in with different email accounts (AOL, Yahoo, Verizon; wife's and mine) all going through my Version network. No dice.
  • Two weeks later I setup a new Verizon network for my mother’s caretaker at my mother’s apartment, so this was a brand new ID. Nope.
  • Used the assisted care facilities network to try to register - not going to happen either. That’s three different Verizon IP address, one brand new. So it did not matter what ID or what pipeline I tried to use, as long as it was a local Verizon IP address, not going to get through this site’s spam blocking.
The way I had to register was going through a proxy IP address while still registering with the email address I first started with here. The one that had been hacked in the past!

Could be a reason there is so little site traffic. If I already did not have close to $1k in EZ materials I would have walked away from ever trying to get on this site.

Oh, and if you think a spammer doesn’t know about proxy addresses, you’re a little behind the curve. And no I’m not or ever have been a spammer.

Just a thought ......

Last edited by TooManyToys; 10-28-2013 at 01:51 PM.