The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Forum

Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Getting started

Hi folks,
I'm ramping up for some DIY stuff: fireplace mantle, built-in bookcases, new kitchen cabinets. I stumbled on the EZ way just as I was about to plunk down about $500 on a new table saw (Ridgid R4512), so that's my budget for now. What do you all suggest I get for that money: 54 or 108 track system? UEG? Cabinet maker? Smart table kit? And what more could I do with a table saw that I couldn't do with EZ stuff (in my budget) plus my router?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuki View Post
And what more could I do with a table saw that I couldn't do with EZ stuff (in my budget) plus my router?
basically just easy and straight forward bevel cuts. there are also various jigs for table saws, but most would be easier to accomplish with a router anyway
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Hi folks,
I'm ramping up for some DIY stuff: fireplace mantle, built-in bookcases, new kitchen cabinets. I stumbled on the EZ way just as I was about to plunk down about $500 on a new table saw (Ridgid R4512), so that's my budget for now. What do you all suggest I get for that money: 54 or 108 track system? UEG? Cabinet maker? Smart table kit? And what more could I do with a table saw that I couldn't do with EZ stuff (in my budget) plus my router?
If I lost all my EZ gear and was facing the projects you mentioned and only had $500 for EZ tools, I' buy the UEG, The TS 54. the Miter square and the smart table kit.

The UEG will handle all your ripping needs. The TS54 gives you a rail to use free hand and with the square to do your cross cuts. The Smart table Kit will make a nice place work on while you complete your projects.

We normally recommend starting small and working your way up but with what you want to do now, go ahead with the recommended items.

You can use the basic EZ rail and do anything you can do with a table saw. Some things will be easier while others require a little more effort. Overall, you'll find the EZ way to be safer and physically much less demanding. After I got started with EZ, I sold two unisaws and a nice portable saw.

Burt
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Only thing I'm wondering, do you think would it be more useful to add a repeater to the initial set-up and whip up my own version of smart table? Also, does the UEG use the same saw base as the track system, or is it better to have 2 bases?

Last edited by tanuki; 02-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, that makes sense. Only thing I'm wondering, do you think would it be more useful to add a repeater to the initial set-up and whip up my own version of smart table? Also, does the UEG use the same saw base as the track system, or is it better to have 2 bases?
A repeater would be nice to go with the square to create a cabinet maker but there wasn't enough money in your stated budget.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about the bases. The base that comes with the UEG also works with the rail system. The TS 54 also includes a base. I don't know if it has been updated to the same base as the UEG or if it is a older smart base. If you are like most of us, you will end up with more than one saw so the extra base will come in handy.

Burt
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM

If you're thinking repeater, purchase the EZ Tool Track extrusion 4.5 ft that's less than a $100. I'm not sure if inserts come with the UEG, but they're $4 ea. and $5 ea. for Anti-Chip Edge 54". The repeater set seems to be a better deal.

So if you do this:

EZ Tool Track extrusion 54"
UEG
Anti-Chip Insert (AC-1)
Anti-Chip Insert (AC-2)
2x Anti-Chip Edge 54"
Smart Table Kit (Is a good option even if you decide to build your own smart table)
Repeater Set
EZ Square / Handle Combo - will be about $20 over budget
Miter Square aka EZ Square will be about $30 under budget
If I did my math right you can get everything Burt suggested along with the
repeaters. hth

Last edited by TheXMan; 02-14-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: left out item
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
If I lost all my EZ gear and was facing the projects you mentioned and only had $500 for EZ tools, I' buy the UEG, The TS 54. the Miter square and the smart table kit.

The UEG will handle all your ripping needs. The TS54 gives you a rail to use free hand and with the square to do your cross cuts. The Smart table Kit will make a nice place work on while you complete your projects.

We normally recommend starting small and working your way up but with what you want to do now, go ahead with the recommended items.

You can use the basic EZ rail and do anything you can do with a table saw. Some things will be easier while others require a little more effort. Overall, you'll find the EZ way to be safer and physically much less demanding. After I got started with EZ, I sold two unisaws and a nice portable saw.

Burt
Are there any videos showing how to use the miter square setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdrep View Post
Are there any videos showing how to use the miter square setup? Thanks in advance.
I would think that DIno has some on the cabinet maker.

Burt
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Here are the new instructions for the Cabinetmaker which may be helpful to you.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZ PRO Cabinetmaker System v13-01.pdf (1.23 MB, 345 views)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Joe,

Another great manual...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Tags
basics, newbie