The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Plywood Cart Upgrade

Hi Guys and Gals,

I finally finished the plywood cart that I have been using for years. I have made t so that I can not only transport full sheets of heavy sheet goods, but also use it as a table for breaking the sheet down. It has an extendable top that gives full support to the sheet, and the fasteners are countersunk 1/4" to reduce the likely hood of cutting them. I have attached a SU file for those that would like one. This is a video from the SU file.

The swing down support legs are held up by magnets when not in use. Several sheets of 3/4" can be moved at once.
Attached Files
File Type: skp PlywoodCart-3-WO scenes.skp (665.9 KB, 495 views)

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Dik........ you're hurtin' me...... I want one of those!......
Great idea and execution..... again.
Rick
Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Thanks Rick.

I was prodded into this upgrade when I brought home a sheet of 3/4" Melamine coated particle board (such heavy stuff, I can hardly handle it now days) and two sheets of white coated hardboard to use to line a closet I was remodeling. I easily slid them from the pickup onto the plywood cart, but later had to transfer the melamine sheet to the Smart table setup I have on the back of my utility cart. I realized if I made the plywood cart so it could be used to break down the sheets, I could save myself a little work.

I haven't gotten any more sheet goods yet to test it out, but the cart works like a charm, and should provide a very stable platform for breaking down sheet goods. I might even use it to straight line oak before I bring it into the shop. I'm thinking about drilling a series of holes to make it easy to place stops when ripping less than full sheets (may not be necessary, we'll see).

I'm also thinking about making the ledge that the sheet goods rest on in the vertical position, so it can be dropped down when using the cart as a table for breaking down sheets. That would make doing cross cuts easier.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 07-25-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added another idea.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Dik, you keep doing those improvements, and pretty soon, you'll have created another version of a great PBB- band the edges of the top platform w/some SME or Track, make some slide-in bridges, and you're good to go- my mind is starting to percolate........ (I can already see a simple mod that would allow me to use the recent EZ square slide-in assembly I came up with, and super-expedite some of the projects I do...... sweet!!)
Rick
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Dik, this is a really great cart/support system! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Thought I would add some pictures of the real thing.

A couple of pictures of the cart in table mode:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6951.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	6351

Name:	IMG_6953.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	6352

A picture with one of the arms extended:

Name:	IMG_6952.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6353

This is the cart in transport mode:

Name:	IMG_6949.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	6354

And finally, the block with 3 screws is a stop for putting the cart in table mode.

Name:	IMG_6947.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	6355

I've been thinking that I should have made the cart out of smaller dimension lumber. I have also thought of putting SMEs on the top and bottom edges of the table top so that a bridge and other things could be mounted. That would also allow me to make the ledge that the goods rest on in transport mode could be removed in table mode. We'll see if I ever get around to it...

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
I've been thinking that I should have made the cart out of smaller dimension lumber. I have also thought of putting SMEs on the top and bottom edges of the table top so that a bridge and other things could be mounted. That would also allow me to make the ledge that the goods rest on in transport mode could be removed in table mode. We'll see if I ever get around to it...
Dik, what do you think about just insetting a couple of pieces of the EZ T-track top and bottom? Cheaper than SMEs, and, if you inset them flush w/the 2/4s, you would have a nice wide (3 1/2") vertical surface for the bridge to mount to.

Then, when it's time to tilt the table, while transporting material, you could slide the bridges out and insert some wooden stops that would create the necessary lip to hold the material from sliding off.
Just thinking out loud.
I really like your design.....
Rick
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Great cart! Thanks for the pics, I couldn't open your Sketchup link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post

A couple of pictures of the cart in table mode:

Attachment 6351

Attachment 6352

A picture with one of the arms extended:

Attachment 6353

This is the cart in transport mode:

Attachment 6354

And finally, the block with 3 screws is a stop for putting the cart in table mode.

Attachment 6355

Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Great cart! Thanks for the pics, I couldn't open your Sketchup link.
Were you able to down load the file?

To open the file, you will need either SketchUp (free) or the SketchUp Viewer (also free).

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Dik, what do you think about just insetting a couple of pieces of the EZ T-track top and bottom? Cheaper than SMEs, and, if you inset them flush w/the 2/4s, you would have a nice wide (3 1/2") vertical surface for the bridge to mount to.
Rick
Rick,

Not quite sure how you envision this, but I was going to replace the 2X6 that is currently on the bottom with a 2X4 and then mount just a single SME (not SSME) to that 2X4 at the top and one to the 2X4 on the top.

I thought that I would make a "fence" that would mount to the SME on the bottom SME and that would protrude about 2" above the top to provide for transporting 2 3/4" sheets at once. these could be stored under the table when used in table mode.

Guess I need to start drawing this up to see if I want to try it.

Dik Harrison

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Tags
plywood, support table