The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 AM

Default Making a dado to match plywood thickness

Started working on the basement shop again, and drug out my new/unused couple-year-old SSRK and put it to work.

So, since modern plywood seems to come in a variety of sizes, none of which match the router bits on my bench, it seems I have to make an undersized dado and then widen it. Question is, how to do that with the SSRK and make everything still fit snugly?

I was watching Laney's first SSRK video and the work piece he is cutting dadoes on is much narrower than the piece I am working with, so I don't think his method of using the adjustable x-axis stops will work for me. I'm having to sit my EZ guide rail on top of the work piece (as if I were cross-cutting it) and use the y-axis stops - but they aren't exactly fine-tuneable.

What I tried so far on a test board was to set up for one pass using a 3/8 bit, and then used a piece of 1/8" tempered hardboard for a spacer to set the y-axis stop. Still ended up a bit loose. I think the baltic-birch ply that I'm using isn't really 'half-inch', but probably 12mm, which in hindsight probably explains the difference.

Is there a relatively fool-proof method to get the correct spacing on the y-axis stops without a bunch of trial-n-error test cuts?

TIA,

Monte
Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 AM

Ack. Kept searching some more, and think I found what I needed.

Laney's *newer* video, the one on the drawer body jig, right around 19 minutes or so. I was trying to figure how to do it in one step, where doing it in two makes it look pretty darned easy

Also found one of Dino's earlier videos on the SRK for exact width dadoes. I think by combining the bits from the two videos (using the calipers to set the y-axis stops) I should be in business. Guess we'll see tomorrow...

Last edited by memilanuk; 12-03-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Dik has a video that explains exactly how to set up your SSRK to do what you're doing. Darned if I can find it. You might have better luck searching than I did.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Here is the link for the dado setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Go6RdfL288

Joe
Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Hah! That looks like an even better idea!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Well, that worked better. Apparently still need a little fine-tuning to get a 'snug' fit but its worlds ahead of where I was at before.

Of course, I still managed to screw up a dado for a center partition on a box (destined for some under-bench drawer storage). Too tight of a hole thru the sub-base on the SSRK and I couldn't quite tell which layout line I was positioned on for the last cut of the evening. The wrong one, of course. Moved it over and now get to do some creative camouflage work.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Default SSRK math lesson

Who would have thought Dik would be teaching math with the SSRK video posted a bit earlier in the thread? You add the width of the dado on the left, you subtract the thickness of the router bit on the right, and you're left with the travel distance of the bit.

Will EZ wonders never cease?