The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 PM

So most of the demo is complete. Just opening this up has made a huge difference! I (6'2") don't have to duck at the bottom of the steps anymore!
Everything that was taken out to open this up had no structural properties whatsoever other than holding a bunch of plaster that is.

The original plan was to demo all the way up the stairs & the 2nd floor landing/hallway but I ran out of space in the dumpster. So this pic is basically where the demo is stopping.
Still waiting on a call back from an engineer .......
Old 07-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Update

Well it's been slow going mostly due to a family vacation to California/Nevada. Then I've just been slow getting back into the swing of things.
Couldn't get a call back from an engineer so I talked to zoning in town & they don't have an engineer. They just told me to consult a contractor. The contractor looked over my house & said that adding 2 2x8's would be sufficient but I looked & a couple of LVL's were only another 60.00 so I sprung for them just for the added piece of mind. The two greenish things are the LVL's joined together with trusslock screws.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Other end of the LVL beam I supported it with 3 2x4's

Old 07-25-2015, 06:03 PM

New wall is attched to existing wall, I'm missing one 2x4 in the wall. Ran out of long 2x's, my ceiling is like 8'5". I'll pick one of those up before I cut out the old part.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 PM

"Well, all we lack is finishing".......

Looking good, Mark; keep posting those progress pics. Glad you got the LVLs in there- I'm w/you: for the little extra on material, the peace of mind is worth it.
Thanks for the update.
Rick
Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
"Well, all we lack is finishing".......
You know finish work is probably highly underappreciated. I find it incredibly tedious & difficult but that's probably just me. The EZ track & square came in handy getting the angle of the stairs. I was having trouble gettng the angle with measurments then it hit meto use the track & square like a giant angle finder. Didn't get any pics of that as my hands were full.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM

This project has taken much longer than I thought it would & I'm not even done yet. I took last Thurs. & Fri. off to work on it. I wasn't having any luck other than bad. My compressor blew a hole in the tank. My framing nailer kept misfiring though that became a moot point when the tank started leaking. So I ended up doing all with my little 12v Hitachi impact driver & screws. I got to tell you if you don't have an impact driver you are doing yourself a great disservice!!! That little guy is worth it's wheight in gold!
Yes I could've pounded nails but to tell the truth I'm not that great at driving framing nails with a hammer.