The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Default More EZ Helper.....

Most of the time, when needing to maintain a straight line while working, I'll use a chalk box to pop a line and work off of that line. Sometimes, tho, I want a line with a bit more 'constitution'- one that I can push against and know that instead of 'close', as with a chalk line, I can achieve 'right-on', as with a rigid straight edge.

My current tile job called for a rigid straight edge. With no walls 90˚ to any other walls, I made the executive decision to have the floor tile be parallel to the lavatory cabinet. After determining where the layout line needed to be, I grabbed a piece of EZ track, a couple of EZ track side-slot brackets and two pieces of scrap lumber to make the rigid edge.

Pic one shows the components: track, scrap lumber w/a hole drilled into it, side-slot bracket installed into EZ track; the long slot in the bracket allows for adjustment of the track.

Pic two shows the components assembled.

Pic three shows the whole assembly installed in place. Doing it this way allows rigidity w/out fastening the assembly thru the Ditra tile underlay (and potentially hitting one of the floor heating wires), and allows for tool-free removal. Plus, it enables me to push my tile up against the rigid track and know that the edge of the tile is in perfect positioning along it's long edge.

Pics 4 & 5 show tile against the straight edge.

Makes my job much EZ-er.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ track aligning tile 1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	6923   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ track aligning tile 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	6924   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ track aligning tile 3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	6925   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ track aligning tile 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	6926   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ track aligning tile 5.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6927  

Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Nice to have that straight edge to push your tile against. I like Schluter products and used a few. Never used the Ditra that you can put heater wires in, though I've priced it and was surprised. Not cheap. Looks like a better solution than the mesh with the wires in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Most of the time, when needing to maintain a straight line while working, I'll use a chalk box to pop a line and work off of that line. Sometimes, tho, I want a line with a bit more 'constitution'- one that I can push against and know that instead of 'close', as with a chalk line, I can achieve 'right-on', as with a rigid straight edge.

My current tile job called for a rigid straight edge. With no walls 90˚ to any other walls, I made the executive decision to have the floor tile be parallel to the lavatory cabinet. After determining where the layout line needed to be, I grabbed a piece of EZ track, a couple of EZ track side-slot brackets and two pieces of scrap lumber to make the rigid edge.

Pic one shows the components: track, scrap lumber w/a hole drilled into it, side-slot bracket installed into EZ track; the long slot in the bracket allows for adjustment of the track.

Pic two shows the components assembled.

Pic three shows the whole assembly installed in place. Doing it this way allows rigidity w/out fastening the assembly thru the Ditra tile underlay (and potentially hitting one of the floor heating wires), and allows for tool-free removal. Plus, it enables me to push my tile up against the rigid track and know that the edge of the tile is in perfect positioning along it's long edge.

Pics 4 & 5 show tile against the straight edge.

Makes my job much EZ-er.
Rick
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Nice to have that straight edge to push your tile against. I like Schluter products and used a few. Never used the Ditra that you can put heater wires in, though I've priced it and was surprised. Not cheap. Looks like a better solution than the mesh with the wires in it.
Sean, I've done heated floors w/mesh, bare wire on anchoring clips, RPM mats, and the Ditra-heat. By far, the easiest/fastest is the Ditra-heat. I happened to get a one-time 'deal' locally on the Ditra-heat, so jumped on it. If I had to buy 'normal', I'd get it from these guys: http://www.masterwholesale.com/
Call and speak with a salesperson, and they usually give you the best deal; on anything tile related.
If you have one of these w/in driving range, they are also great to deal with: http://www.bpiteam.com/
Rick
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the link to Masterwholesale, they have a lot. Always wanted to try the Schluter metal edging, not had the opportunity yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Sean, I've done heated floors w/mesh, bare wire on anchoring clips, RPM mats, and the Ditra-heat. By far, the easiest/fastest is the Ditra-heat. I happened to get a one-time 'deal' locally on the Ditra-heat, so jumped on it. If I had to buy 'normal', I'd get it from these guys: http://www.masterwholesale.com/
Call and speak with a salesperson, and they usually give you the best deal; on anything tile related.
If you have one of these w/in driving range, they are also great to deal with: http://www.bpiteam.com/
Rick