The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 11-15-2016, 06:26 AM

Fingers,

I did indeed start the forum. The fellow that still does the tech admin for the forum, also did the original EZ business site, but the management decided to move it elsewhere. EZ paid for the server for both the business site and the forum. I assume that they still pay for the server that houses the forum, but they have no management control of the forum. I turned the forum over to Phil when EZ tried to control my administration of the forum, they wanted me to ban someone that disagreed with them and that they saw as a trouble maker. I refused and since that was contrary to our original agreement, I asked Phil to take over and gave up administrative control.

The new t-tracks are on the first page below the ad section. Here is a link to one of their pages.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 11-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Default Setting the record straight

Fingers:
I am not the official representative or voice or press secretary of EurekaZone. As Dik stated I was asked to be the (volunteer -- unpaid) Forum Administrator, and as such, when EZ wants to get information out they naturally let me know. Just as they probably prepare a press release to all media outlets. In many ways the forum is another media outlet. As stated earlier, I do not have Internet as of yet. I just moved here for the winter about two weeks ago. Thus I missed making a proper announcement on the track. I have to find a public hotspot or use my cell phone to create a hotspot. Incredibly slow!

In my post I mentioned Open Architecture. The first priority of the management team is to make parts universal fit, and complete the Open Architecture of the product line. This will allow upgrades, retrofits (like the folding leg sets), and speed product development. Open Architecture will enhance the flexible applications of EZ products. Forum members like Bump n stump (Rick) have made fantastic use of EZ products. The standardization of the EZ line will allow members like Rick to expand the applications and techniques even further. All EZ users will benefit from Open Architecture, by allowing us to use parts we have to make new jigs, tools, or applications.

One point to keep in mind -- EurekaZone is a small company. The fact that EZ can compete with big companies, and get product stocked by big companies, says much about the product, and organization in my opinion. Yes EurekaZone is small, but they appear to be motivated and determined to succeed. I believe they will achieve their goals, in time.

I hear frequently about EZ saw. I know little to nothing about the saw. I started using EZ in 2006 (if memory serves) I bought a Bosch CS20 and that is all I have ever used. I have never had any problems so I am of little help regarding saws.

All opinions posted by me, are my personal opinions and not official word from EurekaZone. I find the videos made over the last couple years to be very helpful. Some may see it differently, and that is their right. I assembled the Journeyman table after viewing the video, and following the written instructions. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate and clear the instructions were. A past complaint from the members, was the first videos were unedited, rendering the film very confusing and a waste of considerable time.

I hope that clears up some questions, and misinformation.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Default New Extrusion

Fingers: The following is the information I was given regarding the new extrusion. I called it T Track and that was a personal error on my part. I was unaware that I was being fact checked so closely. I apologize.

[They are heavy duty black anodized single and double slot tracks. The profiles are similar to the standard T-track configuration and also accommodate our connector extrusions and clamps. They are very rugged and come in 24 and 48 inch lengths...pre-drilled holes 4 inches apart.

EZT24S, EXT24D EXT48S, EXT48D are the part numbers

The above plus mention of a video being posted, is all I received regarding the new extrusion. I am not trying to make anything sound good or bad. The above is what I was told and really I do not see a need to include more. The EurekaZone shop is the official word regarding products.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM

I certainly appreciate your postings and what you do and thank you for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
I am really puzzled by that comment. I know the daily posting of great frequency have subsided. That part is correct. Still the frequent postings seemed -- in my opinion-- to bring more trouble and problems than need be.

I have been given heads up on new items before posting for sale. I have made announcements, and even wrote a full review on the Journeyman. I covered the new retrofit legs and would have posted notice on the new T track, except that I do not have internet in my new home and have to find a hotspot. As I see it the new team has done as good a job as possible. New videos, new directions, considerable work on standardizing the products, and ensuring total Open Architecture on EZ products. I am not sure what we on the forum can do. EZ does not own the forum. Any better communications need to come from me. If you have some ideas, please let me hear them.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:28 PM

The new T-Track description says its pre-drilled every 4 inches.

Count me in as someone who sees the black color kind of odd. I worry that it will scratch and show wear over time. Maybe not. No worries with the clear version we are used to.

Is black anodized aluminum safe from wear scratches? I have no experience there.

Regarding EurekaZone's color scheme ... so far it seems to me that all of the black pieces I've seen are either plastic or coated steel - rather than aluminum. I may have missed something though.

Ken K.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:19 PM

Default Now I am puzzled

I do not understand the reason to have users fixate on the extrusion color. I do not understand the concern. I have Incra gold and red, Woodpecker's gold, Rockler blue, and Woodcraft's "WoodRiver" green. Until someone mentioned having issues with black, I never gave it a thought. I can't say as the color ever mattered, and there have never been any sort of issues, troubles, or bad mojo with one color over another. I have to say that the color never improved or hindered the quality of my work. EurekaZone picked black and so that is what they have to sell. I will be buying some black track. I will let you know if my quality suffers or improves. I suspect there will be no change. I will also be looking for adverse wear, or challenges in using black track. I have no idea as to what to expect, since I never noticed a difference in the other colors. Stay tuned for further updates!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:09 AM

I don't care one way or another about the color but I think it will look good against the white melamine I intend to use for my DIY face frame/ assembly table.

I am curious why I didn't see any announcement on social media or, hope against hope, a promotional email about these tracks.

I hope EZ is reading this because this should be a "no brainer". If I didn't keep up with the forum, a competitor would be getting my money for tracks, clamps, and other clamping components. Heck, I get promos from Rockler, Incra, and a slew of others at least once a week. Only email I ever got from EZ was payment confirmation. I make a major tool purchase about once a year. The rest of the time, it's small infrequent purchases to replace lost, broken, or worn out items but they add up to a few thousand dollars a year. And there are a million more like me.

It's a simple fact that we keep in touch with the ones who really matter. Who matters more than those who actually buy your product? Who is more likely to appreciate, purchase, and advertise your expanding product line than your existing client base? Yes, you need new customers, but trading old customers for new ones isn't growth. It's maintenance.

It would be nice to hear from you, EZ.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't call my comments "fixating". I just called the choice of color "odd" ... in the same way I would think it odd if Dewalt come out with a new blue tool or if Milwaukee made a new green tool. No change in function - just odd.

I am more concerned if the black anodization wears to silver, not that it will change the function of the product. It will just look "worn".

BTW, I agree with loyalty being critical to a company - any company. This is especially true for Eurekazone considering the kind of criticism received when someone mentions Eurekazone products in posts on forums like Sawmill Creek. I suspect those not familiar with Eurekazone products will assume that such criticism by apparently experienced woodworkers must have some validity and will avoid Eurekazone products. It is an uphill battle for sure.

I suspect chance discovery and word-of-mouth is a major source of new customers (mine was chance discovery).

Ken K.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:48 AM

I found out about the track, via Youtube, and then checked into here. Mid project, I ran out, and since I didn't find a depth/size chart, here: http://www.eurekazone.com/self_align...ons_s/1971.htm, it was better for me to order the same track, since I already had cut/routed for that size. (IMHE, not all track has the same dimensions). What annoyed me was having a moving picture/video, that just contained photographs, and no actual showing its use with t track stuff. (have some of EZ and T track stuff, if it was compatible that would be of benefit)
The dual track, might be as useful as Woodpeck's miter/T track combo track. (some projects) But phil's calling of it as T track, made me want dimensions even more. (can one layer really be both? Then give a size)
There is only two things I see on the color issue:
1. Dropping stuff into the track (but the black might show it as well or better depending on color)
2. Fear of wearing. If it did wear off, then why not just stay uncolored to begin with.
Only the first would have any issue for me, no different then dropping something in any track.
Open Architecture?
Also, I was unaware that EZ is not going to be proprietary anymore, but is opening itself up. Are they joining some of the open source/makers consortium's? Who else makes stuff? The closest I found is someone else seems to make the Smart table now, for a different system, and EZ no longer sells/makes that inexpensive piece. (sad to see) I would really be interested as I could see somethings being done with 3d printing or some sort of a Arduino/PI based CNC.
I guess I still don't understand the EZ doesn't own the forum comment you made Phil. (view that doesn't seem based in fact)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:31 PM

Default A little background

Fingers: As Dik explained he started the forum, all pre Facebook social media days, as EZ was at the time a one man show. A bit bigger company now but not a great deal larger.. Some of us "old time members" were ex pats from Sawmill Creek and the old Festool wars. You will find several of us that are deeply passionate about track, EurekaZone, and the "dead wood concept." Some had become evangelists for EZ, I would fall into evangelist category. I have been around a long time and I believe and promote the dead wood concept. Many of the "old hands" have aged out of the spot light, they are still here but not in the center of maelstrom. Dino the inventor and originator of EurekaZone experimented with a variety of sales and distribution channels or ideas. There were many different manufacturing or production experiments as well. Chalk it all up to a fledgling entrepreneurs finding the best way forward. Many mistakes and successes ensued but always seeking the best.

The term Open Architecture means different things to different generations. As I personally interpret the meaning, is that where ever possible EZ will blend seamless with standard market practice and dimensions. As mentioned before manufacturing was not always consistent due to experimentation, and learning curve, and staff turnover. This new management team has the Herculean task of straightening out past misses, retaining customer base, standardizing product, showing growth, developing new product, and Lord only knows what else has to happen.

I hope this clears a few things up. I am 100% disabled. I can do some woodworking only because EZ tools permit me to tinker in my shop. I handle the forum, as it gives me something of value to do, and I do not have to earn a living. I have been around long enough to be of some help, though like this thread I make more messes, than needed, by trying to be helpful. From my end I get some sense of value by helping out. It is important to me. I will always be grateful to Dino for his invention that permitted me to gain some sort of activity again. I do not mean to even inadvertently present myself as official representative of EZ -- I am not. I happen to have time and connections, enough to at times create more mess than good. Sorry!