The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 PM

Default What goes around......

Finally got to the circular stair part of my house remodel; been 'sneaking up' on it for a # of years. Lots of drawings; discussions with my engineer; measure; remeasure; do another remeasure; days and days of cutting, welding, grinding steel; etc. So, today was the day to weld in one of the treads to make sure it would hold, and to check, again, if the measurements are correct.

The treads are ~36" long and 20" wide at the outer edge; and, while not heavy, are weighty. So, the problem is: how to hold the tread in place while welding, and, how to repeat the process for each successive stair.

Turned out to be an EZ'er solution than I could have imagined.

-pic one shows the tread temporarily held in place, ready for welding. At the center is a 2-piece wooden collar that supports the narrow end; at the outer end is a piece of EZ track.

-pic two shows a close up, under the tread, of how the track is being utilized.

-pic three shows, "It worked!!"

I love it when things work out!
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3457.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3458.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	7143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3459.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	7144  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Truly amazing. I'm assuming that this is "home built" rather than an assembled kit. Be sure to post photos of your progress.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Truly amazing. I'm assuming that this is "home built" rather than an assembled kit. Be sure to post photos of your progress.
Thanks, Tom. yes, this is 'home-built'. I priced out a kit: close to $8k by the time everything would have been added in. I think I'll be able to do all of it for under $1200, and that includes the white oak treads. It's taking me longer than a kit would, but I'm getting it done, so that's all that matters.

I'll probably post pics when I get to doing the oak treads.
Rick
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Very impressing Rick! Thanks for sharing. Dino never would have guessed this application
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
Dino never would have guessed this application
heh-heh... I won't tell if you won't, Jeff......
r
Old 06-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Very nice!

Out here in "rur'l 'merica" we do a lot of our own fabrication. I mean customization, that is. If I could get someone pay me that much for a kit, I'd laugh all the way to the bank. Anyway, that's a pretty fine piece yer fixin' thar!

Also, very cool use of the guide rail. You could also use it as a story stick by marking the rise of your steps on it ahead of time.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Very nice!

Out here in "rur'l 'merica" we do a lot of our own fabrication. I mean customization, that is. If I could get someone pay me that much for a kit, I'd laugh all the way to the bank. Anyway, that's a pretty fine piece yer fixin' thar!

Also, very cool use of the guide rail. You could also use it as a story stick by marking the rise of your steps on it ahead of time.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Yeah, the cost-quote to purchase a stair kit definitely raised my eyebrows a bit! Part of the 'issue' had to do with it being a custom size, and a large-ish one at that. Most of the online retail spiral stair suppliers deal with 5' diameters, w/a few doing 6'. Getting up to the 6' range increases the price quite a bit. Then, if you custom-specify a size that is bigger than what their jigs normally produce, you pay dearly for it. No prob- I'll do it m'self, thankee......

Yes, using the track as a story-stick, like you mentioned, is handy. What I'll do is set the wooden platform on the track to the desired height before placing in position. Since I'm leveling out from the center pole, the wooden brace at the pole is set at the exact height, not to move. Then, if the floor raises/dips where the track end is, I adjust that end. Having a system like this track, in my mind, beats any other option, excepting if one had robotic arms like they use in auto making. It's fast, it's precise, it's out of the way for welding, and doesn't complain about the work hours and low pay-scale.....
That's my kind of helper!
Rick
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 AM

I just want to watch you carry a bed or other furniture up those steps
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
I just want to watch you carry a bed or other furniture up those steps
Understood. I didn't really have any say-so in this matter. The upstairs room was existing when we bought the house, and the convoluted stairs leading to it were a nightmare. This spiral stair is much better.

Most of the spiral stairs I've dealt with in the past have been the 4' diameter variety- almost impossible to use them without even carrying something up them!

When the diameter increases, ease of use does also. Going from 4' diameter to 6'+ diameter (like mine) is huge. Also, in this house, the way one approaches the stairs, from up or down, allows a nice, open-area, access, which will facilitate moving larger items up or down.

The reality is that the largest item that might need to navigate these stairs would be a KD (knock-down) futon; everything else will be smallish and manageable.

I got your point, tho....
r
Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 PM

If that were my house, the first thing my wife would want to move up there would be the king sized bed.