The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
Wow, lots of homemade stuff. I am impressed. Especially the bases. Did you replace the whole base plate on the Ridgid?
Yes, I replaced the entire plate. I just made a couple of slewing rings for the front/back pivots; and then cut and mounted them to allow the saw to pivot around the cut line once it was mounted on the EZ track. Same thing the Euro track saws do.
Rick
Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Yes, I replaced the entire plate. I just made a couple of slewing rings for the front/back pivots; and then cut and mounted them to allow the saw to pivot around the cut line once it was mounted on the EZ track. Same thing the Euro track saws do.
Rick
That is awesome. I have a couple of battery saws, that I just don't want to spend the $50 on base plates for them. And don't really want to permanently mount them to the base anyway. So I have considered making my own that is perhaps removeable.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
That is awesome. I have a couple of battery saws, that I just don't want to spend the $50 on base plates for them. And don't really want to permanently mount them to the base anyway. So I have considered making my own that is perhaps removeable.
Here is one posting that describes how one might do that:

http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4811
Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Rick
Quote:
Here is one posting that describes how one might do that:

http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4811
That's simple and straight forward, great idea. I will have to look into some materials.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
So I take it some of the "track saws" are actually being used with the EZ stuff? Do they still need bases or are they already work on the eztrack with their existing grooves and stuff?
Track saws have been put on EZ bases to use with the EZ Gear.

What I was talking about was using a track saw on a modified EZ rail. TO modify the rail, you remove the guide ridge, turn the rail over and insert a ridged connector in one of the clamping slot. A rail modified like this will work with the Makita, Hilti and festool saws.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Track saws have been put on EZ bases to use with the EZ Gear.

What I was talking about was using a track saw on a modified EZ rail. TO modify the rail, you remove the guide ridge, turn the rail over and insert a ridged connector in one of the clamping slot. A rail modified like this will work with the Makita, Hilti and festool saws.
So you remove the center piece altogether? and use it upside down? I guess I would have to see that to have it make any sense. I am not getting a good visual from the description.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So you remove the center piece altogether? and use it upside down? I guess I would have to see that to have it make any sense. I am not getting a good visual from the description.
Yes, remove the center piece altogether; yes, use it upside down.

pic one shows a piece of track, upside down, w/a piece of the raised connector installed in one of the slots. Masking tape at the bottom of the track is meant to show which piece goes away.

pic two shows a Hilti 267e installed on this setup.

hth,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3468.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	7155  
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM

If you don't want to cut up your track, you can do what I do with the one saw (an old WORX that was recommended by Dino when I first got into EZ) I have that has a slot to fit the European style track. I made a wider solid replacement for the ACE and it is cut to give me alignment capability. Of course you forgo anti-chip on the outside, but you can always fasten a 1/2" thick anti-chip to the saw's base.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 06-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM

So the saws are wanting a wider track? I would have assumed that the groove would have been a different size too. I assume the EZ is a proper American 5/8" are the European saws using a groove that is 15.875 mm? 16 mm perhaps close enough to 5/8"?