The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Master Carpenter

after thinking for many years and knowing the issues... 100's prototypes...
I needed your push to finally eliminate the stupid edges...
4 dies at 5-6K each can become something else?
any ideas? wherherstripping or something else.
Now we can have a better cut and save money the same time.
No good for the extruder or any company but ez comes first.

thanks again.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 AM

Not sure what you're saying about the guard getting stuck. I've a small block screwed to the bottom of my Base for anti chip protection. My guard doesn't get stuck. Using the anti chip edges if I pushed my saw onto the track without lifting the guard first the guard would get stuck on the ACE. So my block makes sliding the saw onto the track much more convenient than having to remember to lift the guard before sliding the saw on the track using the ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
sean,
I did this long ago and we have an issue with the guard getting stuck.
If you take another look at the edges you will see that the top part is design to transfer the weight of the saw and especially the guard to the very edge of the bottom piece.
Where the action ( cut) happens.
The blade at 5000 rpm is pushing the fibers upwards and the plastic keeps the fibers down. You don't have to be exact for the chipping because the pressure
is working further than the edge.
But you must apply some pressure to have a super clean cut.
with that in mind...and few practice cuts...life is ez.
On melamine I applied more pressure and I had the best cut ever
with an old 40 teeth diablo blade - few missing from cutting metal studs.

Back to your idea. YES. It works and with an ez indicator ( adjustable)
the system is complete. Except the guard in some ( most) saws is getting stuck. We can solve this problem with another idea that I don't have it right now. A small ball bearing screwed to the guard?

Thanks
dino
Old 08-26-2017, 01:56 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Not sure what you're saying about the guard getting stuck. I've a small block screwed to the bottom of my Base for anti chip protection. My guard doesn't get stuck. Using the anti chip edges if I pushed my saw onto the track without lifting the guard first the guard would get stuck on the ACE. So my block makes sliding the saw onto the track much more convenient than having to remember to lift the guard before sliding the saw on the track using the ACE
Sean, Not all saws have the same guard function.
I never had the problem that you have using many-many saws.
The problem that I'm talking is different.
The guards on the Makita's riding at the edge of the track.
some times they get stuck without the edges. 1/16" is enough to have this problem. This is why I let go the edge free idea and keep improving the edges.

It is impossible to have total quality control on plastic extrusions inserted to aluminum extrusions with the usual ware of dies and whether.
But the ez edges are very close to perfection if you learn few tricks.
You can open the round part or shave it. Even crimp it with simple pliers.
I use to ship out edges with the blue tape. No problems but it don't feel right.

Anyway...we will try a new way next week.
Adjustable indicator with or without edges and maybe a self stick tape.
Not the foam Non Skid tape that other systems are using. This is a gimmick.
Simple strips ( thin and strong ) to protect the delicate materials.
one way or another the edge issue has to be solved by next week.

Soon we will have another ez transformation in many areas to make ez better.
Having 2 open t-tracks on the guide rail will bring many good ideas.
Cutting the smart bases in small sections is a good start to make sliding indicators.
Included to the new orders and at bargain for the ez guys with existing systems.

tx again
d

Last edited by Dino; 08-26-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
This thread has me a bit confused. It started with MHB looking for help to prevent the ACE from sliding - traditionally the fix for that is bending the ACE a bit, though Dino mentioned "crimp" - I'm not exactly sure what that meant.

But then their seemed to be a mention that the ACE have somehow changed over the years and now it fits looser. Hmmm, I'm not sure if I have older ACEs or newer ACEs, but I've really not had the slippage problem.

Phillip mentioned his concern about blade quality. I do recall his earlier posts on this topic. As I've mentioned before, so far most of my work has been rather rough construction - like building horse stalls and storage shelves. Certainly I've not had the need for super accurate cuts that might be needed for building cabinets and other fine woodcraft. Phillip - can you recommend a few brands/models that are findable at a local HD/Menards/Lowes or findable on-line?

Others mentioned that they've abandoned the ACE altogether. Hmmm, does the EZ Base without the ACE provide enough edge protection to avoid kerf tearout on both sizes of the cut? Or do you just live with what you get? I can see where the base protects the non-ACE side, but am not sure about the ACE side of the cut since I use the ACE.

Ken
Ken, You have almost 1/2" of plastic. no problem.
The other benefit is that the new insert will slide against the guide making
the sliding and stability much better.

I can see it working better and we can always keep the edges
if we like it like that.
tx
dino
Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 AM

My saw is a Makita 5007MGA bought EZ ready from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Sean, Not all saws have the same guard function.
I never had the problem that you have using many-many saws.
The problem that I'm talking is different.
The guards on the Makita's riding at the edge of the track.
some times they get stuck without the edges. 1/16" is enough to have this problem. This is why I let go the edge free idea and keep improving the edges.

It is impossible to have total quality control on plastic extrusions inserted to aluminum extrusions with the usual ware of dies and whether.
But the ez edges are very close to perfection if you learn few tricks.
You can open the round part or shave it. Even crimp it with simple pliers.
I use to ship out edges with the blue tape. No problems but it don't feel right.

Anyway...we will try a new way next week.
Adjustable indicator with or without edges and maybe a self stick tape.
Not the foam Non Skid tape that other systems are using. This is a gimmick.
Simple strips ( thin and strong ) to protect the delicate materials.
one way or another the edge issue has to be solved by next week.

Soon we will have another ez transformation in many areas to make ez better.
Having 2 open t-tracks on the guide rail will bring many good ideas.
Cutting the smart bases in small sections is a good start to make sliding indicators.
Included to the new orders and at bargain for the ez guys with existing systems.

tx again
d
Old 08-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Here is my cut line indicator - could be made adjustable from the top by tapping the screws into the piece of t-track.

This is my take on the repeater - simple sliding block that locates on the leg of the Cabinet Maker. EZ made me a "special" long unit with capacity of close to 48" - it's a little unwieldy, maybe a better way would be two pieces with a section of connector.

Sorry, been a while since I adjusted it last. The adjustment screws are the ones in the little plexiglass tab. When setting, I loosen those screws until the tab barely slides, line the scribe line up with the edge of the kerf and then snug up those screws. Put the indicator back on the track and double-check that the scribe line is still OK and you're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	7182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	7183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2686.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	7184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	7185  

Last edited by tomp913; 08-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:44 AM

I really like the idea of an adjustable cut line indicator. It sounds like an easy and inexpensive fix to an ongoing problem. As someone mentioned, sometimes 1/32" just isn't close enough. I've experienced this frustration at times but only when using the track alone, never on my PBB where use the kerf cut in the table as my cut line indicator with very reliable accuracy.

Also, +1 on Philb's remarks about CS and blade quality. I gave away a relatively new Dewalt CS a few years back because it had too much arbor play - still worked for framing. I've also ditched saws with stamped metal plates since they inevitably get knocked out of square from normal use and abuse. I also went with full kerf blades because, simply put, thin blades are flimsy, thus unreliable. Try a full kerf blade from Tenryu and you'll see how easy it is to get great results every time.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Changes are comming

But the ez edges are very close to perfection if you learn few tricks. You can open the round part or shave it. Even crimp it with simple pliers. I use to ship out edges with the blue tape. No problems but it don't feel right.

Anyway...we will try a new way next week. Adjustable indicator with or without edges and maybe a self stick tape. Not the foam Non Skid tape that other systems are using. This is a gimmick. Simple strips ( thin and strong ) to protect the delicate materials. one way or another the edge issue has to be solved by next week.

Dino, are you sure that the foam non skid tape is a gimmick? Does it not work? Im sure that others may be saying the same thing about these anti chip edges. I dont know about others, but I bought the Ezsmart system to use it not work on it to make it usable. Im glad that the company has been prompted to make changes.

If you think that what Im putting forth is not constructive criticism, please look at the attached photos to see how committed Im to making the Ezsmart system work for me. I went through the time, trouble, and expense to machine a custom base for the Dewalt DW384 saw.

If you need a beta tester, I would be more than willing to assist you although Im sure you already have others at your disposal who are much more qualified that I am.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_121430.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	7186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_121441.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	7187   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_131855.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_131905.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7189  
Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 PM

Good looking base. What's it made out of? Is the DW384 one of the saws the standard EZ Base doesn't fit?
Not sure why the anti skid tape on the track would be a gimmick, it works. It can be an issue if you're using a 7-1/4" saw in that it makes the track thicker so you may no longer be able to cut thru 2X stock. Not an issue with the DW384.
Call me a skeptic but issues with the EZ edges have been commented about on this forum for many years. I'm doubtful that EZ will, all of a sudden, decide to make significant changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB View Post
But the ez edges are very close to perfection if you learn few tricks. You can open the round part or shave it. Even crimp it with simple pliers. I use to ship out edges with the blue tape. No problems but it don't feel right.

Anyway...we will try a new way next week. Adjustable indicator with or without edges and maybe a self stick tape. Not the foam Non Skid tape that other systems are using. This is a gimmick. Simple strips ( thin and strong ) to protect the delicate materials. one way or another the edge issue has to be solved by next week.

Dino, are you sure that the foam non skid tape is a gimmick? Does it not work? Im sure that others may be saying the same thing about these anti chip edges. I dont know about others, but I bought the Ezsmart system to use it not work on it to make it usable. Im glad that the company has been prompted to make changes.

If you think that what Im putting forth is not constructive criticism, please look at the attached photos to see how committed Im to making the Ezsmart system work for me. I went through the time, trouble, and expense to machine a custom base for the Dewalt DW384 saw.

If you need a beta tester, I would be more than willing to assist you although Im sure you already have others at your disposal who are much more qualified that I am.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Perfection is much different in the eyes of the cabinet maker and the carpenter...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models