The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Good on ya, Tom, for the great tutorial and quality work; I love this kind of stuff! Keeps me inspired...
Rick
ps. My vote re the windows is to not do the divided lites- tends to clutter up the window and make them appear smaller. Just my opinion, of course.
On window replacement jobs, I do far more windows with no grilles than those with grilles.
Mebbe it's just Texas.....
Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Tom,

Great presentation and from what I can tell "Job well done". The House certainly looks light years better.

I was intrigued with the board for the Kreg jig. It is neat. You were showing an entirely plywood top. Is that a 1/4" over the entire top or did you pull the fences and set in a 3/4" piece? I normally just fit in a couple modules between the SME and hadn't considered that approach. It certainly makes a neat setup. Your job site looks very neat compared to the typical.

The technique used for trimming the shutters was much the same I use for raised panel doors. The only real difference if I use a stop to make the second cut.

I'm thinking about the kreg equipment again. You clamp the pocket hole in place on the Kreg "Board". Recently, I've been using the smart clamp and gripping the same area on the jig as I hold it on an SME. The kreg clamp also works nicely on the SME. The Kreg stops that you set for the routing were great but a couple EZ Rip Stops would have done the same thing on an SME.

For those who haven't invested in all the Kreg gear, Take a piiece of ply or board about 6" wide or wider. Route a 5/8" wide by 1/4" deep dado down the center. Turn an EZ tool rail (Guide rail) upside down and put the ridged guide in the dado. Now you have essentially the same setup Tom used and the price is right.

Recently, I have been using a lot of EZ Tool rail in the tops of my tables. It has twice the slots and more work surface.

Tom, Thanks again for the great presentation. I hope you didn't mind my using it to illustrate a bit more of what the EZ is capable of.

Burt

Last edited by Burt; 01-09-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:27 AM

Great shots/vids Tom! Great to see how you utilize your ez-one!

Rod
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Tom,

For those who haven't invested in all the Kreg gear, Take a piiece of ply or board about 6" wide or wider. Route a 5/8" wide by 1/4" deep dado down the center. Turn an EZ tool rail (Guide rail) upside down and put the ridged guide in the dado. Now you have essentially the same setup Tom used and the price is right.

Recently, I have been using a lot of EZ Tool rail in the tops of my tables. It has twice the slots and more work surface.

Burt
Burt... can you post a pic of what you are describing? not sure I'm following you on the upside down rail..... Can all the Kreg stops, etc... be used in the SME? I had already posted that I would love the details on Tom's "Kreg Board" that he uses.... very interesting. I use Kreg all the time.... pocket holes.... would love to incorporate all that into my EZ-One.

Greg
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsharp8 View Post
Burt... can you post a pic of what you are describing? not sure I'm following you on the upside down rail..... Can all the Kreg stops, etc... be used in the SME? I had already posted that I would love the details on Tom's "Kreg Board" that he uses.... very interesting. I use Kreg all the time.... pocket holes.... would love to incorporate all that into my EZ-One.

Greg
Greg,

I'll see what I can do about the photos.

As for the kreg stops working in the EZ SME, I'd be surprised if any of them do.

In this instance, Tom used the Kreg Master Jig which can he held in place on EZ extrusions using the Smart clamps. Also Tom used stops to hold the pieces while he was routing. Most of our EZ stops would work for that.

Like yourself, I use the Kreg jigs. I have found they work well with the EZ.

Burt
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Tom,

Great documentation of a real work process. Thanks for taking the time to show us how it was done.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models