The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
I am not sure of the plywood blade, I think you would still trim it with the carbide teeth of the normal blade, due to different kerf.

I've known people who have used the reverse blade before with plastic. They say it works well, but I have never publicly seen it recommended since it is on the side they braze the carbide on. I have had some carbide break off of regular (with the saw) blades before in the normal direction with new 2x material.
I meant the cheap steel plywood blades not carbide, I should have made that clear. Sometimes I loose detail going from my brain to text I have even used them backwards to trim steel doors to clear carpet (when I was a kid long time ago). They do not last long but is does work. These blades are thin but so are the Freud blades that most of us use. It might be close enough. I will have to give it a try.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Default distance

Yes I also would like to see a jig for the setup of the blade even if it has to be paid for. 3" from the first dado or slot to the blade. I guess the 6" to the centre of the blade would very, If not a mark would be good not sure from base to base.
1 5/8" from the screw ajustment edge would make it 3" to the first dado on the other side of the blade. (Not sure of this part)
I'm sure this can be done without one. like Dino's video but this would stop all the re checking put it on clap it that its drill and add the screws.
I see they have one for the AC or working on one to trim the edge.

Just a thought!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
Yes I also would like to see a jig for the setup of the blade even if it has to be paid for.
Just a thought!
John I'm alittle what you might call post Christmas. But I think your wanting a jig to set the Smart Base to your saw. Am I right?
Sorry for not being sure.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Beck View Post
John I'm alittle what you might call post Christmas. But I think your wanting a jig to set the Smart Base to your saw. Am I right?
Sorry for not being sure.
Yes that's right Mel there is a video to install with this kinda jig some place.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswingchun View Post
I guess the downside would be if someone wanted to change to a different blade thickness after installing the base. You would have to move the base to compensate, and that wouldn't be an EZ thing. Maybe you guys have some brilliant idea kicking around for that.
But you're measuring from the motor side of the blade to the dado, as long as the blade disc is flat that distance doesn't change with blade thickness. All the
extra thickness is on the nut side
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Sean,

Actually, it isn't the plate of the blade, but how far the set of the teeth is past the plate that is the issue. If you set up with the blade fully extended and measure from the same tooth near the base at each end, you get the most accurate setting, IMHO.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Sean,

Actually, it isn't the plate of the blade, but how far the set of the teeth is past the plate that is the issue. If you set up with the blade fully extended and measure from the same tooth near the base at each end, you get the most accurate setting, IMHO.
Dik
Not to get off subject, you've help so much before. But I can't for the life of me figure out want "IMHO" means. duh
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

In My Humble Opinion
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM

Default chat

Yes some of the chat form acros used are hard to figure out at times
ROTFL= Roll on the floor laughing. LOL= Laugh out loud, ect.
Some are fun.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Sean,

I was going to mention that but decided not to since that would be the case no matter how the edges were trimmed and would come up anytime you changed blade manufacturers. Might even be variations in different batches of the same brand .The moral of the story would probably be to pick a blade manufacturer you like and stick with one brand, thinking that even blades with different tooth counts might have the same offset.
I wonder how much variation there actually is? It might be tiny.