The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 PM

Default Tinting Polycrylic with Moxil?

Anyone have experience tinting waterborne clear coats?

So, I'm building a guitar stand out of baltic birch. And of course the church music director wants it stained walnut. In spite of stain conditioner and 3 coats of Minwax walnut stain (it's more dye than stain) it's not an even. No blotching but, from one end to the other the color has lighter sections. All wood cut from the same sheet.

The plan is to spray finish with polycrylic, two coats. Now, I'm looking for a tint to apply to that notoriously clear finish.

Best I can come up with is German product from Woodcraft called Mixol. It's a tint and might just help mask the uneven finish?

Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas from others that have experience tinting clear coats?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 AM

I use clear waterborne poly all the time, even over oil based stain. It dries fast so I can apply several coats in just a few hours. Best of all it cleans up easily. I can't say I have a brand preference since I've had good results with several. The trick to tinting is to make enough for the job since repeating the shade can be tough.

Like you've seen, Birch just doesn't take stain very well. Nor is the grain very appealing. I suppose you could spot stain the lighter places but you can also drive yourself crazy trying to even out what nature hasn't. In fact, less inconsistencies in color often look less natural. For example, a gel stain would even out the color but it may also end up looking painted.

If all else fails, you could start over. Walnut veneered plywood isn't hard to find. However, since you probably don't need an entire sheet for a guitar stand, a few board feet of solid wood might cost less and obviously deliver the look your client wants. Actual walnut won't need any stain at all. Red oak with antique walnut stain can yield very good results, lighter than real walnut but good grain.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Tracedfar; 06-02-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Tracedfar!

Glad you've have good experiences with tinting waterborne clears. I will heed your advise and tint enough to complete the entire job.

I'll post photos when complete. The rack holds 7 guitars and allows 6 inches of spacing.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Photos

I used the SRK with a 1/8" spiral bit to cut the neck holes after drilling with a 2 1/8" hole saw. Very clean. I have a SSRK, just never mounted a router to it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	7124Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3138.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	7125

This is the pre-finish assembly. Just before disassembly and staining. It's held together with furniture bolts and barrel nuts. Everything was cut from one sheet of baltic birch. I made patterns from 1/4" just in case of the "I want one too," effect.

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	7126
Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 PM

Very nice Jeff!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 AM

I've done this several times while attempting to match a color or wood stain with an area previously stained and finished. On occasion I've been known to use old fashion water based tempera paint use.It only takes a little so it's best to start out with a few drops, test and add or adjust as needed.Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Default Mixol - not so good

Well, next I tried Mixol (a translucent tint in tobacco shade) in polycrylic, . Hard to pour accurately and hard to repeatably duplicate, and adjust the shade. Looked like spilled chocolate milk. The more coats, the less grain was visible. 220g removal of three coats (again).

Next attempt was with 1 oz. of Trans Tint Walnut Dye in 1 qt. of water. Sprayed one coat, it made the birch grain really stand out AND the dyed wood was a near perfect walnut shade with NO splotching! 3 coats of polycrylic and done!

Added ribbed carpet the 2 horizontal lowers to help prevent the guitar bodies from sliding. Used automotive trim tape and ribbed carpet to protect the necks on the upper horizontal neck holder.

Delivered!

Lessons learned:
1. Trans tint works like a dream on birch, far superior and easier to apply than Minwax stain, Minwax polyshades, (stain and finish in one can) or Mixol.

2. Trans tint is about $20 for 2 oz. Makes 1/2 a gallon and well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_48a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	7173   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_48d.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	7174   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_48c.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	7177   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_491.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7180  

Last edited by Jeff Freelove; 09-11-2017 at 11:01 PM.