The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Default odd situation.....

I recently needed to rout the face of an assembly I'd already glued-'n-screwed, making it a bulky assembly. (pic 1). My intent was to make the routs equidistant from the centerline of the face to be routed. So, I needed to, a) be able to securely clamp the assembly to allow routing w/SSRK; b) allow a set up that would accommodate the bulk of the assembly; c) allow the equidistant routing. My EZ-1 isn't set up to accommodate bulky items, so I turned to my PBB.

Pics two and three show the set-up I used: my PBB w/slide in extension modules on either side, which are then connected by a short piece of track- making basically an open 'pit' that let the bulk of the assembly hang freely. I positioned all of this to allow the face of the assembly to be held captive. Then, it was just a matter of setting up some track and going to town w/the SSRK. Results are in pic 4.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  using extensions - 3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	6324   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  using extensions - 2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	6325   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  using extensions - 4.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	6326   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  using extensions - 5.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	6327  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 07-14-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Very innovative solution, Rick. One of my biggest frustrations with using the ssrk is finding ways to trap the pieces that I'm routing in ways that don't block the movement of the ssrk. I did get some of the new clamps and this helps somewhat plus I'm going to make some of your long clamps soon.

I appreciate seeing how you use the various devices you make to go with ez stuff. Great for understanding how to do various things using ez, pbb, etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Very innovative solution, Rick. One of my biggest frustrations with using the ssrk is finding ways to trap the pieces that I'm routing in ways that don't block the movement of the ssrk. I did get some of the new clamps and this helps somewhat plus I'm going to make some of your long clamps soon.

I appreciate seeing how you use the various devices you make to go with ez stuff. Great for understanding how to do various things using ez, pbb, etc.
Thanks, Katie.
Yep, clamping things securely in a way that facilitates the SSRK can sometimes be a challenge. It was this issue that first spurred me on to make the long clamps; and now I use them everywhere.
Rick
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 PM

Are they half-inch baltic? Any tips about how long/short they can be and still work well? I notice some have a centered slot and others are off-center. Wider and narrower, etc. Any reason for this? I'm ready to make some when I'm done with my current project.

I'll make them before the bridge/square/miter that you made. I noticed what you routed here was in that video . So maybe it will help me with that project.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Are they half-inch baltic? Any tips about how long/short they can be and still work well? I notice some have a centered slot and others are off-center. Wider and narrower, etc. Any reason for this? I'm ready to make some when I'm done with my current project.

I'll make them before the bridge/square/miter that you made. I noticed what you routed here was in that video . So maybe it will help me with that project.
Yes, 1/2" baltic ply is what I use. Length can be whatever you are comfortable using.

There isn't much rhyme or reason re. width/length/slot position/etc. Excepting the ones I use on my mini-repeaters- I offset that slot to get it farther away from the tightening knob; plus, on one end, it's square-cut; on the other, it's rounded; just depends on which configuration works best for the situation.

Here's a pic of a smattering of some of the ones I have- nothing special; usually something I needed at the moment and had to stop and throw together. Maybe when you make some, you can experiment w/different sizes, and see what you like best.
(Also, if you notice in my OP for this thread, I had to join two of them together to make a brace that would be out of the way- versatile.)
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sliding braces.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	6342  
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Rick. That's very helpful.