The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM

What's a Benchmark Workbench?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 PM

See attached. There is also a video demo on YouTube. After checking out the company, looked like they had a bad start up a couple years back and are taking another shot. Maybe found some new investors and/or a new business model. Anyway, great concept. Last time offered, it was around $500 for the pro version with all the extras. If that's the case, adding an EZ bridge would make the Journeyman a little more competitive and, with a little tweaking, about as diverse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benchmade-Portable-Work-Table-Pro-Model.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	6848  
Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 AM

If the Benchmark is $500, the Journeyman at $800 which includes B300, saw track and, I'm assuming, stops seems like a better deal. The Benchmark is larger which would be good but at 50# seems heavy.
There is also the issue of supporting a company that cheated buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
See attached. There is also a video demo on YouTube. After checking out the company, looked like they had a bad start up a couple years back and are taking another shot. Maybe found some new investors and/or a new business model. Anyway, great concept. Last time offered, it was around $500 for the pro version with all the extras. If that's the case, adding an EZ bridge would make the Journeyman a little more competitive and, with a little tweaking, about as diverse.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Default Journeyman is on the way

I have a Journeyman coming. I plan on doing a complete review for the forum. I will let you know what I think in honest terms and impressions. I owe no one for stilted glowing reports if they are not due.
I did notice that there are design ideas that looked familiar in the Benchmark. That is an item that may not make a difference or it might. If anyone buys a Benchmark it would be great to see some sort of item for item comparison.

Stay tuned! I am very excited about this new product.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM

If you can, please take photos of the folding mechanism. Maybe I can rig something up.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 PM

I was thinking of just chopping the legs off and using track extenders (http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezx7324.htm), but i'm not sure how stable that'd be.

i'd use some kind of thumb screws (http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-273568...533041&sr=1-13) to secure them, so i can just slide the leg back on and twist to easily deploy without tools. It's ridiculous to break this thing down and have to re-square everything and reset the bridge every time i want to use it.

then again, that's still eight bolts i'd have to hand twist to deploy the table (two per leg).

what do you guys think?

It would be great if there was some kind of locking/clipping insert with a latch we can just depress or squeeze to slide the legs back off. I could live with that instead of a folding mechanism. I'm just going to hang everything on the wall anyway

Last edited by tofu; 05-17-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Would it work to just buy the EZ legs and turning attachment
Old 05-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Would it work to just buy the EZ legs and turning attachment
which turning attachment are you referring to?

I never could see clearly how the journeyman legs fold. it looks like they pull some kind of spring loaded pin to release the locking mechanism

the website advertises "3 minutes or less" to deploy it. That seems like an awfully long time to unfold legs and lock them. I hope it's not a setup where you have to pull out the hex keys and start squaring and tightening everything.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 PM

Several types of spring loaded locking hinges can easily be found. Surely there are some that could easily be adapted to a portable PBB. That is, if the EZ hinges and legs aren't practical.

Sean9c, I totally agree with you about the benchmark, both the product and the company.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 PM

Default The Journeyman (Legs)

To Forum members:
I got my Journeyman last Friday and started the assembly. Oddly there isn't much to assemble, most of the assembly has been completed before shipping. I make this point as I have been in the EZ camp since 2006 and the Sawmill Creek days. I always had to assemble most parts and many had to be cleaned up, drilled or some such activity to make the product work as advertised. I am not making any sort of disparaging remark about the past, but this time I was literally floored at how professional the package looked. Every item was exactly as presented and counted and accounted for. The entire contents were listed on the label of the box and initialed. The documentation had a few errors but it was pretty complete and workable. What a stunning change from the past. Yes the earlier EZ system left us with lots of room to make adjustments for our needs, but to be honest many of us did not need a wide margin of adjustments, we needed a system. A program with tools that we could follow and employ to complete a task. I include myself in the group that needs a tool that I can learn and put to work. I am just not creative enough to build as I go. I could always see the value of the EZ tools, but as much as I wanted EZ to succeed, I was having a hard time feeling the pride in the product that I feel today. I also had a hard time cutting up an expensive tool to make the adjustments needed. I came from the generation that did not write in books or color on walls, or. . . Starting a company is not easy -- I am well aware of that -- I have done it a few times myself. Still this latest development feels like a major evolution has been completed, and the company we have all supported from the start is making it to another level.

A question has been asked about the legs and I am (hopefully) attaching photos of the package and the legs.

This is a starting post for a series of my opinions and observations on the new EZ Journeyman. A new product that I feel pride in owning and using. These are honest opinions, I am not paid to evaluate or say anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 15.35.19 HDR.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	6856   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 15.36.22.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6857   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 15.45.18.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	6858   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.41.05.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	6859   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.42.14.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6860  

Last edited by philb; 05-18-2016 at 11:49 PM.