The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 AM

Default The Folding Legs

The legs will swing freely but they are held in place by a solid pin with a ring for handling. There is no other tool needed other than your fingers.
The website states that 3 minutes are required to change the position on the legs. The time may be accurate, as I did not time the operation. I will say that the unit is a bit awkward to handle that swinging the total package around to get the legs in position is a bit cumbersome. From the heft of the unit I am of the opinion that complete easy peasy pack and go is optimistic. Still I am 65 years and disabled so my evaluation will be a bit more critical than many of you young men. Even in my physical condition, I will stand by the claim of portability for the Journeyman. The Journeyman's greatest assets are the same as every EurekaZone product -- the deadwood concept, safe operation, flexible application, and space saving working tools. Now we can add portability. Because of the deadwood concept there are several mental adjustments the woodworker will have to make. Still they are personal adjustments, not wild or crazy adjustments.

You can see the pin and ring from the outside perimeter. The pin is a smooth pressure fit in a nylon sort of bushing in the hole. I have a concern that this bushing may wear out and contribute to instability, but I have not put this to the test yet and time will tell. The ring in the pin should have a string or chain attached to keep the pin in place but that is a personal opinion and not a deal killer for sure. In photos 4 and 5 you can see how the legs fold up into the portability package. The green foam is for shipping and not intended day to day use. As you can see EurekaZone is serious about delivering a clean, nice product.

The leg ends (photo 3) have been rounded off and though this is not something EZ has done in the past it sure is a welcome change. The product feels finished. The entire package feels like it was designed and not a bunch of parts thrown in a box with some neat drawings as to what I could make. In fact all the corners had some sort of "finish" and for the first time, I made it through the entire process without major scratches or cuts ( I take blood thinners and that is an issue!). Every part fit -- as it was supposed to fit. The ACE was the only item that needed some assistance (I had to use a rubber mallet to finish the ACE insertion. Not sure if this is an intentional change ( the last ACE was sloppy fit). I do like not having to chase the ACE across the room as it slid out without effort and several times the ACE would move mid cut and and not perform as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.41.05 HDR.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	6861   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.41.19.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	6862   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.42.14.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6863   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 15.46.02.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	6864   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 15.45.44 HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	6865  

Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 AM

Default The Journeyman -- Complaints

There were several items that I noticed where improvement is needed.

I believe a glossary of terms with profiles and abbreviations should be on the first page of every manual. The EZ Smart tools are so unique a guide is really needed to help educate the new customer.

There are several references to "front" "right" "rear" and the parts are not labeled on the Journeyman, or there is no description of how to determine the orientation in the drawings. These two points can be highly annoying to a beginner. If these points have not been addressed, they should be addressed very soon.

The manual and assembly instructions are much better than the first years. Each module or component assembly has it's own set of instructions, along with parts list and inspection checks and initials. See photo 1 and 2. These are nice additions, still I would like to have the step and manual page number on the box.

I really got annoyed with the squaring process and steps. Page 4 in the intro the "Notes:" lists "The front Cross Rail is used as a "Squaring Fence" that is later used as the reference in squaring the Bridge assembly." First "the front Cross Rail" how do I know which is which? Nothing is marked and nothing on a drawings are noted as to how I should know the Front or the cross rail. It is so early on I have no idea as to what the bridge is. These are small items to an old hand but the new customer is lost for sure. I can not help but think the prospective customer at Home Depot reads the instructions and passes on this product because the thing looks too challenging to learn, or the learning process is way out of line to the benefit. (Not true but I can see how that thought could crop up.)

The studded knobs are fine but the threading fit is not as smooth as should be. I had the struggle with each knob as the threads are not clean or smooth. Look at photo 5, I am speaking of the two knobs on the upper portion of the photo.

My irritation pops up again. I had just finished squaring the frame then to put the side rails on, I have to undo the squaring, install the sliding brackets then reconnect the side rails and square again. This time a bit differently. I ended up using my laser square and completing the task. Photos 3 & 4.

Back again to revisit the front rear issue. On page 7 I am "Installing the B-300 Bridge" The first question that will pop up into the newbie mind is "what is a B-300 Bridge?" B-300 leads the new customer to question if there are other bridge units and did I get the right one.

Page 10 has me squaring again! This is getting more than a little annoying. I have to now square the bridge and the cross rails.

I completed all the tasks, and I made it through to the point I am ready to start using my Journeyman. None of the points I have made regarding the documentation is a fatal flaw. These are items that mar the otherwise wonderful user experience. Improvement? Absolutely! Such a far cry from the past where half the documentation had no relevance at all -- literally!

I mention all the points with the hope that some future day, we can present a perfect product and surprise our customers with a product that exceeds customer expectations. We can do it! I believe the management team at EurekaZone wants to achieve the same goal. I look at the progress and believe this is true.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-05-14 16.03.13.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	6866   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.45.44 HDR.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	6867   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.23.10.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	6869   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.21.38 HDR.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	6870   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-14 18.42.14.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	6871  

Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Phillip - Great review of a new product!

I have a question about the folding legs (Please refer to my post #4 of this thread.). How I store my EZ-One I cannot have the legs when folded lay on top of each other. I need the folded height to be as small as possible.

Sorry, I usually don't explain things very well but here goes. Instead of that knob on the outside of the leg to lock it in place do you think a piece of connector with a stud inserted into the leg SME and a tightening knob on the inside of the corner piece could work? This way you could fold one leg and slide it out so both legs could fit flat against the side rail SME.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Phil,

Those were some great write-ups. Thanks for being so detailed.

So, from what I understood, the pin holds the legs to the top. When the knob isn't tightened, they legs swing around freely? I hope I am wrong, as that sounds a bit disappointing. I imagined it more like banquet tables legs.

You know, in retrospect, maybe putting banquet legs on my mft wouldn't be the worst idea. Won't look pretty, though

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
I was thinking of just chopping the legs off and using track extenders
On that note, check these little locking hinges out. 184lb per hinge. Half turn to lock

80/20 Inc., 12085, 15/40/45 Series, Standard Hinge with Locking Lever https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGX1TK0..._5zJpxb8ESXZBT

Chop legs off, reattach with theses hinges. Offset the leg cuts so that can fold into each other neatly

Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Default Journeyman leg pivot

As you can see in the first photo, the legs do stack directly on top of each other. The Journeyman is intended for portability or hand carry, and the only way to make a square framework and portability in the same table is to have direct one over the other stacking. The banquet tables are offset from each other and I suspect there will be squaring issues galore.

The pivot in the 2nd and 3rd photo is the wing nut (on the inside of the frame) and the three wing knob (in photo 3). If you look carefully at the 2nd photo you can see a black slider block that fills the channel. That slider looks like it supports the pivot and leg pin. The pin is only to keep the legs from moving. The true pivot is the wing nut, wing handle with the pressure spring to keep pivot from flopping wildly. I understand your concern and I prefer the pivot bolt and keeper pin like the Journeyman has. I have the banquet table legs on two of my EZ units. I am not very happy with them. The banquet legs are stiff and not easy to place, and squaring them is a bit of a task. Again that may reflect my lower skill level and disability limitations. (bad right arm and surgically damaged neck) So my opinion may not be the best in this case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-05-14 15.46.02.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	6872   Click image for larger version

Name:	File May 19, 3 06 58 PM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	6873   Click image for larger version

Name:	File May 19, 3 08 25 PM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	6875  
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 PM

Great review! Looking forward to hearing more from you as you continue to explore your new Journeyman.

Kind of disappointed about keeping the table square.

Also, I'm thinking spring loaded pins in the legs like my cheap old Ryobi miter saw stand has would be practical. The pins snap into holes in a bracket attached to the side of the hinge; one each for locking the leg open or closed. The entire stand takes less than a minute to setup or breakdown; and that includes placing or removing the saw. It will easily hold 400+ lbs.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post

Also, I'm thinking spring loaded pins in the legs like my cheap old Ryobi miter saw stand has would be practical. The pins snap into holes in a bracket attached to the side of the hinge; one each for locking the leg open or closed. The entire stand takes less than a minute to setup or breakdown; and that includes placing or removing the saw. It will easily hold 400+ lbs.
it's just a matter of finding the right hinge for a reasonable price. i'll start searching through amazon

Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Talking Portable and affordable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
Phil,

Those were some great write-ups. Thanks for being so detailed.

So, from what I understood, the pin holds the legs to the top. When the knob isn't tightened, they legs swing around freely? I hope I am wrong, as that sounds a bit disappointing. I imagined it more like banquet tables legs.

You know, in retrospect, maybe putting banquet legs on my mft wouldn't be the worst idea. Won't look pretty, though
I still think this one would be an economical solution for a portable Power Bench. As soon as we move into the new house, I may just have to find a use for my extra track.

http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=420

Last edited by Jeff Freelove; 06-02-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 06-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
I still think this one would be an economical solution for a portable Power Bench. As soon as we move into the new house, I may just have to find a use for my extra track.

http://tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=420
In retrospect, yes. At the time, the mft seemed like a mini ezone. Truth is, it is just lighter. From a portability standard, they seem about the same.

I'm going to try those 80/20 hinges eventually. They seem like they'd work well