The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Router Guide Systems

Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

I can't speak for the others, but for me it is buried in a stack of things to do.

Burt
Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM

It's kinda disheartening that some of these threads are stale.

I thought the same thing. What about length of t-track track or back-to-back with two smart clamps as the fence Dik suggested? If that wasn't stable, a filler piece could be mounted between the regular fence and the second one.

It also seems like a dedicated router base that fit both the SSRK and the UEG would not be that difficult or expensive to make.

Using a router on the super stable UEG to make 8'+ rebates, dadoes, grooves, dovetails, etc. Very cool.

Even cooler, the option to attach two bushings or bearings, one under each mounting rail. Now, your UEG can do corners and curves.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 AM

One of the HUUUGE benefits of the Super Smart Router Kit (SSRK) is its ability to use a small diameter router bit and the Limit Stops to create exact width dados & rabbets using a tiny piece of the same wood (or track, or ...) to be placed in the dado or rabbet.

I'm trying to think of how that would be done using the UEG. Would the Limit Stops fit in the groove on the UEG arms? (you'd need 4 of them if they do fit)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Using a router base and the UEG, wouldn't you be limited to rabbets on the long edge of a part or dadoes along the length limited to the reach of the arms? For a dado, you would be limited in location by the reach of the arms from either end of the part.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Yes, I think you would be limited by the length of the arms. After some thought, it might be possible to use the SSRK off the guide rail with some simple modifications. Also, since a guide rail extrusion is part of the SSRK, it wouldn't be hard to replace it with a longer piece to create a longer reach/wider adjustment.

However, I still like the idea of a UEG compatible router base. As it exists now, you would still have a range of 0" to around 24" of depth. Since I'm seriously considering doing this, I'll probably install adjustable guide bearings to the bottom rails so I can follow a curved edge or go around a corner. Might be nice for adding inlay to a couple of coffee table I'm refinishing.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:40 PM

I have a CRB7 router base that I've used for a little over a year. It's a great tool. I've done everything from simple grooves to circles with it. Well, I had my PC 890 on it but took it off and put it on my new SSRK a couple of weeks ago.

Today, I needed to do some edge trimming. My first thought was to put the router back on the CRB7. My second thought was to buy another router. However, my third thought was to remove the SSRK router base from its track guide and take advantage of its width and stability. Eureka! (Yeah, I like saying that)

Modifying the SSRK router base to accept the CRB7 accessories is just a matter of drilling a few well placed holes. Will it be okay to rename my new hybrid router kit the EZB7? Or Son of SSRK?