The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Default If I were a first time Eurekazone Visitor

First let me clarify that I've been using the EZ Smart track for a number of years now and LOVE it.

That said, this evening I came across a post on another forum pointing out that Grizzly just came out with a track saw system. Looking at their system left me surprised by how wimpy the tracks look and it appears that there is zero anti-chip protection on the non-track side of the blade.

For whatever reason that led me to go to Eurekazone.com. I'd gone there countless times to look at products & components, but for some reason this time I found myself looking at the current web page thinking about what it says to a first time visitor. As much as I like the products the web site just doesn't say much about what the product is. I could imagine a first time visitor simply not investing the time to figure it all out - and "walking away".

There is a video on the EZ One. Clearly a goal is to sell those. But that isn't the product that led me to become an EZ user. It was the tracks that converted me. So I started seeing if with one click I could (as a new user) learn about the tracks and saw base and how it all works. It wasn't until I got to the EZ Smart Wiki at https://sites.google.com/site/ezsmartknowledgebase/Home and played the video on the left side that all was revealed to me - in a very clear way.

It seems to me that Eurekazone is undergoing changes and may be struggling with exactly which products they are promoting. It seems that their primary product is the EZ One and the secondary product the UEG ripping guide. It seems to me like the tracks that I started with - and still serve me well - are fading from focus.

Regardless, if it were my website I'd have more pictures of my key products - so visitors know what I'm selling right away -- the EZ One in action (keep it simple), the UEG in action, the track w/ base & clamps in action, the SSRK in action, .... Each picture or group of pics would lead to a "product page" that goes into further detail about that particular product is and what it can do, including videos/animations of each. A visitor wants to know what your products are and what they can do for me that other people's products don't, and they will only take so much time and effort before they'll move away.

For example, the dead wood philosophy makes sense, but it needs to be shown in pictures - or better yet a video showing the dangers of table saws and the advantage of the dead wood methods.

Just some thoughts.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Default Valid Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
First let me clarify that I've been using the EZ Smart track for a number of years now and LOVE it.

That said, this evening I came across a post on another forum pointing out that Grizzly just came out with a track saw system. Looking at their system left me surprised by how wimpy the tracks look and it appears that there is zero anti-chip protection on the non-track side of the blade.

For whatever reason that led me to go to Eurekazone.com. I'd gone there countless times to look at products & components, but for some reason this time I found myself looking at the current web page thinking about what it says to a first time visitor. As much as I like the products the web site just doesn't say much about what the product is. I could imagine a first time visitor simply not investing the time to figure it all out - and "walking away".

There is a video on the EZ One. Clearly a goal is to sell those. But that isn't the product that led me to become an EZ user. It was the tracks that converted me. So I started seeing if with one click I could (as a new user) learn about the tracks and saw base and how it all works. It wasn't until I got to the EZ Smart Wiki at https://sites.google.com/site/ezsmartknowledgebase/Home and played the video on the left side that all was revealed to me - in a very clear way.

It seems to me that Eurekazone is undergoing changes and may be struggling with exactly which products they are promoting. It seems that their primary product is the EZ One and the secondary product the UEG ripping guide. It seems to me like the tracks that I started with - and still serve me well - are fading from focus.

Regardless, if it were my website I'd have more pictures of my key products - so visitors know what I'm selling right away -- the EZ One in action (keep it simple), the UEG in action, the track w/ base & clamps in action, the SSRK in action, .... Each picture or group of pics would lead to a "product page" that goes into further detail about that particular product is and what it can do, including videos/animations of each. A visitor wants to know what your products are and what they can do for me that other people's products don't, and they will only take so much time and effort before they'll move away.

For example, the dead wood philosophy makes sense, but it needs to be shown in pictures - or better yet a video showing the dangers of table saws and the advantage of the dead wood methods.

Just some thoughts.
Kenk,We are working on more thorough,Updated, and informative Web Design as we speak.
Stay Tuned...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Default I absolutely agree

Since I was very recently a first time visitor, I will say that the process of finding what you need at the EZ site is likely to drive a lot (maybe most) interested folks away. I'm just a glutton for punishment, so I hung around long enough to figure a few things out... It would be a shame if EZ lost customers to second rate competitors due to marketing mishaps, but it happens all the time.

I don't think the open forum is a good place to hash this stuff out -- but if Billy or other EZ folks want to discuss some observations from a "DIY" type customer, please feel free to contact me.

Of course I've got an opinion.... everyone's got one.....
Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Some thoughts.

It would be nice to be able to see a set of packages that mapped building things to a set of tools.

When you move the mouse of a project:
- pop up a set of pictures that shows pictures on how to build it
- when you click, a video of the process could start

When you move the mouse over a tool, show different angles of the tools, click for a demo video

----------------------------------------------
Set 1: Plywood Slicer

Picture of project, with mouse over to steps to build with tool
- book case
- cabnet case
- ????

Tool:
- UEG

Cost $99:

------------------------------------------
Track Saw

Projects:
- book case
- cabinet
- small hardwood box
- flag presentation case

Price:
Fill Rip: 108 -
Half Sheet/lumber 54 -

--------------------------------------------------------
Compact Workshop

Projects:
- book case
- cabinet
- small wood box
- flag presentation case
- router fluting

Tools:
- EZ one
- SSRK
- STK

-------------------------------------------------------------

People would be able to look at the page, see a project they want to build, then see how to build it with the tool.

The walkthrough could compare to other tools in the market, the car on the track is very compelling :-)

Take care,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM

At the risk of reviving an old thread, I'd like to echo some of the sentiments expressed in earlier statements. I am a first-time visitor to Eurekazone. I'm completely new to woodworking so some instruction in how to use the EZ-system to accomplish tasks by a table saw or some other tool would be extremely valuable. I have a head full of ideas that I want build but I need a little help in understanding how the system works. As others have noted, putting it in context with a simple project like a bookcase would be even better. Showing a person how to use the EZ track combined with a Smart Table to break down a piece of plywood, safely and accurately while keeping it square would go a long way to helping a new user visualize how the various components work together as a system to help you achieve your woodworking goals. As others mentioned previously, I can go to Kreg's site, download plans, and see a video of how to use their jig to build it. There is tremendous power in that. It hit me this morning that the track is not needed for ripping plywood if your cuts are 28" wide or less; the UEG will handle it.

I admit I'm looking real hard at the Festool TS55-REQ because as a new woodworker, the system integration and resources available to the new user are invaluable. I have no doubt that in the long run it will cost me more than an EZ-System, but since I'm starting from scratch, the cost difference for getting an EZ-Ready saw (Makita 5008MGA) with track vs the Festool narrows to a 15% upcharge. However, once I factor in the Festool Parallel Guides to achieve the flexibility of the UEG (assuming this is a valid comparison), the difference jumps to 37%—that's more difficult for me to justify as a hobbyist.

I also think that the strength of the system, that is, it's ability to accept any saw, is potentially it's weak link as well. As I read the forum, (admitting that my woodworking experience is quite limited) most of the difficulty that people have is with picking the right saw. There are very recent threads saying the Makita 5008MGA wobbles and may lead to imprecise cuts. Does Eurekazone address this issue with the saw they sell? The website makes no mention of this.

One thing to note about the EZ Smart Wiki (written in 2009) is that most of the information there is out of date either because the system has evolved or the reference links take you to a non-existent web page. It also doesn't help that even on the updated web site, at least one embedded video does not work : http://www.eurekazone.com/ProductDet...roductCode=STK.

I guess my point in writing this post is like Dave_F, I'm not afraid to dig into the information and make an informed decision, but I'm used to doing that as a technical person in the IT field. Most people will click around for a few minutes, become confused, and leave the site never to come back or make a purchase.

--Joel
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner421 View Post
At the risk of reviving an old thread, I'd like to echo some of the sentiments expressed in earlier statements. I am a first-time visitor to Eurekazone. I'm completely new to woodworking so some instruction in how to use the EZ-system to accomplish tasks by a table saw or some other tool would be extremely valuable. I have a head full of ideas that I want build but I need a little help in understanding how the system works. As others have noted, putting it in context with a simple project like a bookcase would be even better. Showing a person how to use the EZ track combined with a Smart Table to break down a piece of plywood, safely and accurately while keeping it square would go a long way to helping a new user visualize how the various components work together as a system to help you achieve your woodworking goals. As others mentioned previously, I can go to Kreg's site, download plans, and see a video of how to use their jig to build it. There is tremendous power in that. It hit me this morning that the track is not needed for ripping plywood if your cuts are 28" wide or less; the UEG will handle it.

I admit I'm looking real hard at the Festool TS55-REQ because as a new woodworker, the system integration and resources available to the new user are invaluable. I have no doubt that in the long run it will cost me more than an EZ-System, but since I'm starting from scratch, the cost difference for getting an EZ-Ready saw (Makita 5008MGA) with track vs the Festool narrows to a 15% upcharge. However, once I factor in the Festool Parallel Guides to achieve the flexibility of the UEG (assuming this is a valid comparison), the difference jumps to 37%—that's more difficult for me to justify as a hobbyist.

I also think that the strength of the system, that is, it's ability to accept any saw, is potentially it's weak link as well. As I read the forum, (admitting that my woodworking experience is quite limited) most of the difficulty that people have is with picking the right saw. There are very recent threads saying the Makita 5008MGA wobbles and may lead to imprecise cuts. Does Eurekazone address this issue with the saw they sell? The website makes no mention of this.

One thing to note about the EZ Smart Wiki (written in 2009) is that most of the information there is out of date either because the system has evolved or the reference links take you to a non-existent web page. It also doesn't help that even on the updated web site, at least one embedded video does not work : http://www.eurekazone.com/ProductDet...roductCode=STK.

I guess my point in writing this post is like Dave_F, I'm not afraid to dig into the information and make an informed decision, but I'm used to doing that as a technical person in the IT field. Most people will click around for a few minutes, become confused, and leave the site never to come back or make a purchase.

--Joel
the festool may be tempting because of all the documentation and resources available for it, but like you said, the prices add up quickly. And pretty much everything, but their power tools, are inferior to what EZ offers. Even on the used market, you'll be paying more than just buying brand new EZ items.

If you're looking for a saw, check out the dewalt Dino recommended (you'll have to search for that thread) or the hitachi C7BMR that a few members have stated was one of the best saws they've ever used with EZ. Both saws are under $120.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM

In some respects you've illustrated my main point about ease of use and the availability of resources. A quick search of of the forum shows that the Hitachi C7BMR does not have the depth to cut 2X4 stock with the smart base. I think the other saw that Dino recommends is a Dewalt. In both cases though, I have to buy the saw and install dust collection and the smart base myself. I can't find instructions on the EurkaZone site for installing the dust collection port.

I want to stress that I'm not above doing this, but as a beginner, having the saw ready to go out of the box is one more variable that I'd like to eliminate in getting started.

--Joel
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner421 View Post
In some respects you've illustrated my main point about ease of use and the availability of resources. A quick search of of the forum shows that the Hitachi C7BMR does not have the depth to cut 2X4 stock with the smart base. I think the other saw that Dino recommends is a Dewalt. In both cases though, I have to buy the saw and install dust collection and the smart base myself. I can't find instructions on the EurkaZone site for installing the dust collection port.

I want to stress that I'm not above doing this, but as a beginner, having the saw ready to go out of the box is one more variable that I'd like to eliminate in getting started.

--Joel

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zys1IFASrik&hd=1

Others just use a step drill instead of belt sander

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...