The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking Philosophies

Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Table Saw??? REALLY???

OK,So today we had to cut some 2" x 8' rips of 3/4 "leftover" UHMW into 1" rips for components for the new large Moduni bases. As per usual,Dino decided to mix things up,,and test a theory..
So,we set up a table saw ,rather than just use the UEG,as I had planned to do for this task.
What a joke!,,,And an unintentional "on my part", testimonial to the EZ way of doing things.
Now, while 3/4" UHMW is more flexible then say,3/4" ply ,or planks,The lessons became clear on the first piece ripped.
Lesson#1). When the blade is spinning toward you,as on table saw. The dust and debris is directed toward your face. Decreasing vision,"even with safety glasses". Not to mention is very uncomfortable.
Lesson #(2).You must feed material through exposed ,reverse spinning blade,holding tight to feed table"close to blade" to keep material from riding up ,and chattering ,or jumping. Especially with thinner,less rigid materials,such as UHMW,or thinner ply, Veneers,etc.
Lesson # (3).Even with two experienced carpenters feeding and pulling this material,and the use of a "splitting fin" behind blade.Still much unnecessary risks and unrewarded results as opposed to doing things the EZ way.
Lesson #(4). After many years of making these kind of cuts with the table saw,was very hard to walk away initially,,After less then 60 seconds using the UEG for the same APPS,,I can't run away from the table saw fast enough!

Bottom line is this!;! Table saws ,that were once our only option,are now,in my mind,OBSOLETE!

No more lost digits! No more handling heavy material multiple times! No more needing a a double size footprint!! No more "Flintstone" breaking rocks with a man-eating Dinosaur !!

I may,theoretically, be biased ..... But don't take my word for it,,Listen to the everyday users here. And yes ,,,they ARE here every day.... Loyal,Convinced,and Committed,Real life,EZ users. Be smart, Do your research,Compare to other systems... See you soon....Welcome!
thx
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 AM

Yup I thought the Tablesaw was a wonderful thing and would never be replaced and the bigger and heavier the better wow did I find out in a hurry that was a load of bull and all this crap drilled into my head on how its done on a tablesaw. Now there are some cuts that the tablesaw at this time may do a better job for now but it will never get any safer to use it should be called a meat grinder.

Its is so nice now to use a tool you don't have to think about as for safety it's built in like it should be in the first place. And the thing that gets me most like most of the EZ tools they are so frigging simple and you wonder why only one guy would blow his brains out trying to get that across to us all he is like a Thomas Edison of the woodworking world and can be used for many other jobs also. Don't get me wrong there are some very good EZ guys out there that take this stuff even further along and it gets better every year THANKS EZ great toys.

Last edited by bigjohn1; 03-26-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Default showing why NOT to use a TS

I laughed the other day when I came across this episode of some old Bob Vila show where the carpenter is ripping plywood to make the supports for a closet install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCHpQ-4zNg

Jump ahead to 9 minutes in, and watch these guys wrestle a sheet of ply onto a table saw. It doesn't have any grisly saw injuries or anything, but it's one of the best testimonials for a tracksaw that I've seen. When Vila grabs the sheet from the back and starts pulling it, I really had to wince. Even on the crappy video you can see that the cut is neither straight nor square -- just holding it up to feed the sheet into the saw puts a twist in it. Plus the fact that it requires two men and about 20 feet of open floor space ...
Thought this group might enjoy --
Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM

billy,
can u explain the procedure you use to rip 2" stock with the ueg. i cant imagine how you keep the stock stationary

thanks
will
Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_F View Post
I laughed the other day when I came across this episode of some old Bob Vila show where the carpenter is ripping plywood to make the supports for a closet install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCHpQ-4zNg

Jump ahead to 9 minutes in, and watch these guys wrestle a sheet of ply onto a table saw. It doesn't have any grisly saw injuries or anything, but it's one of the best testimonials for a tracksaw that I've seen. When Vila grabs the sheet from the back and starts pulling it, I really had to wince. Even on the crappy video you can see that the cut is neither straight nor square -- just holding it up to feed the sheet into the saw puts a twist in it. Plus the fact that it requires two men and about 20 feet of open floor space ...
Thought this group might enjoy --
Dave
Wow what a joke that is to watch. What would they say if they saw a UEG or Rip Sizer make quick work out of that.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
billy,
can u explain the procedure you use to rip 2" stock with the ueg. i cant imagine how you keep the stock stationary

thanks
will

Will I believe they use a spacer edge to get this done there was a video some place or a pic with this being done.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
billy,

thanks
will
Will, many ways to rip very narrow strips.
one is to put few stops to trap the strip.
if you need better cuts...use another piece of wood
to make the strips wider.

all about the support.
tx
d
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Will, many ways to rip very narrow strips.
one is to put few stops to trap the strip.
if you need better cuts...use another piece of wood
to make the strips wider.

all about the support.
tx
d
That requires appropriate emphasis.

Burt
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM

ok the reason i ask is i have to turn 50 10' 1x4 into 3/4x3/4 stops for a window job and to me settn the ts once and going to town seems to be the way i was going to go but if u gentlemen have a better way im all ears
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM

also one corner needs to be eased with a 30 degree angle about 1/4 inch in from the corner to allow for the vinyl welds