The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Default Suggestions for side clamping boards?

Has anyone used the Rockler Auto-Lock T-Track Clamp on their EZ-1? Or anything similar? Festool makes something like this as well.

The advantage I can see is that the clamp holds a board at the side so that the whole top of the board can be sanded without moving the clamp around.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58616-03-1000.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	6385  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf2 View Post
Has anyone used the Rockler Auto-Lock T-Track Clamp on their EZ-1? Or anything similar? Festool makes something like this as well.

The advantage I can see is that the clamp holds a board at the side so that the whole top of the board can be sanded without moving the clamp around.

Any thoughts?
Neal, I haven't used those clamps, but I do use the same principle w/some shop-made clamps- see the pic.; works quite well, and super-flexible for whatever situation. (Not to mention that they're lots cheaper..... )
Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clamping options-  PBB - 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	6386  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Rick, do you use 1/4" , 5/16 ", or 3/8 bolts/knobs for those clamps? I made some and I used 1/4" but they look kind of skimpy. What do you think? I
sent away for some knobs. they'll be arriving soon. Then I'll try them out. Between these and the four bench clamps I got from Eurekazone I should be in great shape. I do plan to make one of those square/angle jigs too. Thanks for your posts on this it's been really helpful.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Rick, do you use 1/4" , 5/16 ", or 3/8 bolts/knobs for those clamps? I made some and I used 1/4" but they look kind of skimpy. What do you think? I
sent away for some knobs. they'll be arriving soon. Then I'll try them out. Between these and the four bench clamps I got from Eurekazone I should be in great shape. I do plan to make one of those square/angle jigs too. Thanks for your posts on this it's been really helpful.
Katie, I prefer using the 5/16-18 thread size; and, I really like these knobs: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...ska/index.html
I mainly use the 1 1/2" diameter, but have some of the 1" diameter size; and, to round it all out (), I also have some of the 1/4-20 sizes.

The heavier mass of these knobs makes a big difference when spinning on/off, and when cranking down to tighten; well worth the extra dollars, IMO.

Then, I also have a smattering of small/med/large knobs, in varying size diameters- never know when you'll need something.....

When you get going on the square/angle jig, if you need any 'coaching', let me know; hopefully I can help you avoid some of the 'not-real-bright' mistakes I made along the way.... (I'm using mine more and more; almost every time I'm in the shop... love it, love it, love it....!)
Rick
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Thanks, Rick. I'm going to try the 1/4" since I already made them because that's the size bit I had, but ordered a 5/16" bit for next time I want to make some. I'm sure it will have more clamping power.

I've never ordered from Winco because their site is so complex and I assume their shipping costs are high when you just have a small order like a couple of knobs, so I either add on to a Woodcraft order (like for baltic ply) or get woodpeckers knobs from a place where there's free shipping regardless of order size. I'm a fan of the woodpeckers knobs because they are versatile, you can decide on the length of the bolt and either use a through knob or stud knob for them. They come in 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8. They also have the 1/4 in smaller sizes which are great if your space is limited and I've used these small knobs a lot on things where large knobs would interfere. The 10-pack of 1/4" small size knobs are much smaller than the large ones, the picture makes them look similar sizes and they are not.
http://www.shopwoodpeckers.com/woodpeckers-multi-knob/
Plus when you are new at this and don't have a good sense of what lengths would work, you can try different lengths till you hit it right

I do plan to try the Winco ones when I need them (to compare) though. Because when compared to the prices for the Festool or Rockler clamps it's a great bargain even if the knobs are more.

Thank you for your offer of the square/angle jig help. I'm still working on my mtfc but that's on my list for next. The help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Goblu; 08-06-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Details question

Thanks, Bumpnstimp.

If you would be so kind, could you detail how you made the clamps? Are they from 1/2 inch plywood? Then a hex bolt or T bolt in the track of the table?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Bumpnstimp.

If you would be so kind, could you detail how you made the clamps? Are they from 1/2 inch plywood? Then a hex bolt or T bolt in the track of the table?
Neal,
in my case, the clamps are 1/2" baltic birch; 1 1/2" wide; ~15" long; routed out to allow the clamp to easily slide along a 5/16 thread. In the work table top, I've installed a few threaded inserts. To hold the clamp in position, I insert a studded-knob, thru the clamp slot, into the threaded insert. See pic one. If you wanted to use a thru-hole, bolt, knob, instead of the insert, that works fine also. (inserts: https://www.google.com/search?q=thre...w=1523&bih=858)

The clamping mechanisms can be almost anything you want them to be.

Pic two shows an EZ t-track inset into a piece of plywood. Then, I grabbed a scrap piece of 5/8" ply; routed a slot lengthwise; held it to the t-track w/a short piece of EZ connector, w/a threaded stud in it. Add a tightening knob, and you're good to go.

Pic 3 shows a platform that slides along the sides of my PBB (home-made work bench). In the top of the platform is a small hole that allows a bolt to pass thru so that I can use one of the clamps; it can be positioned anywhere on any of the 4 sides of the PBB. This simple set-up is very versatile, and I use it often.

Pics 4 & 5 show another option: a 'slotted' piece of ply that allows clamping of any shape.

These are just some examples of how to keep it simple (and cheap!!) If you needed some toggle type clamps, you could modify the toggle bases to work in the same manner as what I've shown here. (toggle clamps: https://www.google.com/search?q=togg...w=1523&bih=858)

HTH,
Rick

Edit:
I realize I didn't detail how I made the clamps, as you requested. If you want me to go thru the steps-to-make, I will be glad to do so; just let me know. r
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clamping on PBB - 4.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	6427   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamping on PBB - 2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	6428   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamping on PBB - 3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	6429   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamping on PBB - 5.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	6430   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamping on PBB - 6.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	6431  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 08-26-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Peachtree has a selection of toggle clamps.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/toggleClamps.htm

If you scroll down the page to the second set of "mounted toggle clamps" you can see some mounted ones with star handles, etc. These should be easy to adapt and seem to be a good value for what you get, the clamp the mounting block, the knob for tightening. I got one to try out, but haven't modified it for ez yet.

Peachtree's site is not very good, but they do have some good things at reasonable prices.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Default Thanks, Rick

Now I understand. You have inspired me to make some clamps similar to yours. I like the simplicity and versatility.

Do you ever worry about your blade hitting the threaded inserts? I am guessing they are deep enough you donít have to worry. I will just start with a through hole, bolt and nut until I have used the clamps a bit.

This also has encouraged me to add EZ track to my heavier work bench. My EZ-One has all the track I need to do just about anything, but it moves around a bit when sanding, planing, and so forth.

Thanks much!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Now I understand. You have inspired me to make some clamps similar to yours. I like the simplicity and versatility.

Do you ever worry about your blade hitting the threaded inserts? I am guessing they are deep enough you donít have to worry. I will just start with a through hole, bolt and nut until I have used the clamps a bit.

This also has encouraged me to add EZ track to my heavier work bench. My EZ-One has all the track I need to do just about anything, but it moves around a bit when sanding, planing, and so forth.

Thanks much!
You're welcome, Neal.
As you get into doing your version of this, please post some pics- I'm guessing we can all benefit from what you come up with.
Rick
ps Hitting the inserts w/the saw blade hasn't been an issue- they are well below the surface.