The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Default Incra Miter for angle cuts.

The discussion elsewhere and the upcoming need to cut an angle on a piece too big to be done with my miter saw, has led me to readapting my Incra miter to be attached to the track rather than to the table as I previously had done.

I stripped down the miter to the bare essentials and fabricated a couple of 1/4" hex bolts for fastening it to the track. I did this by first grinding two opposite faces of the head to fit into the side slot of the track. I used a bench top narrow belt sander for this. I then chucked up the bolt in the drill press and with the edge of a mill file I ground off the threads to fit through the slot opening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527 (2).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	6965

I then drilled and counter sank two holes in a piece of 1 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle to fasten to the fixed side of the miter with the pivot screw and another screw in an existing tapped hole in the miter. I cut off part of the 1" side of the angle for clearance of the bottom of the track, and drilled holes for the above described bolts. It is the blue-gray piece in these pictures.

Name:	IMG_7528 (2).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	6966

Name:	IMG_7534 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	6967

I then replaced the miter fence with a piece of WoodPecker extrusion (the red piece).

Name:	IMG_7539 (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	6968

So far, it looks like it is going to work well.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 12-15-2016, 02:26 PM

Can you show the other side?

I thought the stop on those Incra gauges, goes through a bar, so I am trying to figure out if this is a different gauge or what your using for the stop?
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 PM

Not using a stop, but could attach one to the fence using it's slot on the face.

This is not new miter, it doesn't even have a number, just "The Miter Gauge by Incra". I've had it since long before EZ came on the scene.

The silver angle that the red fence is attached to is what the Gold Incra fence attached to, only it has been flipped so the angle goes down and not up. This because we want to register below the gauge, not above. The silver angle has two open ended slots for the mounting screws.

Name:	IMG_7531 (2).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	6969

At some point, I might flip the silver angle back up and use a different fence so that I can mount the fence more easily when on the EZ-1, and change how far it hangs below the track for different thickness workpieces. I might even be able to use the Incra fence again.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 12-18-2016, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the picture!

Hopefully, the forum server will be back up to speed soon and I'll post a picture of my Incra adaptation. This approach makes quick work of precise miters. With an adjustable fence and stop, it could make the PBB as efficient as a sled or scms.