The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Woodworking With A Disability

Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Default Arthritis--tools and remedies

For years I managed my arthritis using SAM-e supplements, then recently it got much, much worse, where I could hardly do anything with my hands, both a loss of strength and lots of pain. Well, I am going to see the doctor soon to figure out what's going on, but in the meantime am trying some other home/alternative remedies that seem to be working and I'll post here if they work.

One hand tool I've found that is great for arthritis is from Master Mechanic (True Value). It's a racheting screwdriver but a bit different than others. It really gives a lot of leverage and you turn it in both directions. Here's a link:
http://www.truevalue.com/product/Swi...yName=Bargains of the Month&keyword=screwdriver#fullDescription It's really amazing, if you watch the video, you'll see what I mean.

Another low tech thing I use is those rubberized waffle-weave jar openers or even gardening gloves when I need more strength for the task at hand, like untightening bolts. (Never use gloves with power tools esp. with a blade, though).

I also have some back problems and really like the ez one, because it is higher than many standard workbenches (like at the place I take woodworking classes).

I'll post more later, but I thought this thread could be for anyone else to post any tools they thought useful for woodworkers with arthritis or limited hand strength.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
For years I managed my arthritis using SAM-e supplements, then recently it got much, much worse, where I could hardly do anything with my hands, both a loss of strength and lots of pain. Well, I am going to see the doctor soon to figure out what's going on, but in the meantime am trying some other home/alternative remedies that seem to be working and I'll post here if they work.

One hand tool I've found that is great for arthritis is from Master Mechanic (True Value). It's a racheting screwdriver but a bit different than others. It really gives a lot of leverage and you turn it in both directions. Here's a link:
http://www.truevalue.com/product/Swi...yName=Bargains of the Month&keyword=screwdriver#fullDescription It's really amazing, if you watch the video, you'll see what I mean.

Another low tech thing I use is those rubberized waffle-weave jar openers or even gardening gloves when I need more strength for the task at hand, like untightening bolts. (Never use gloves with power tools esp. with a blade, though).

I also have some back problems and really like the ez one, because it is higher than many standard workbenches (like at the place I take woodworking classes).

I'll post more later, but I thought this thread could be for anyone else to post any tools they thought useful for woodworkers with arthritis or limited hand strength.
I use the cordless impact for most of my screwdriving and tightening bolts. I find for most things that the little 12 volt ones are great. If you're on a budget, the craftsman ones are adequate. I prefer the makita version. One of the most difficult things for me to do is to hold a nail while I start it with a hammer.

Burt
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
I use the cordless impact for most of my screwdriving and tightening bolts. I find for most things that the little 12 volt ones are great. If you're on a budget, the craftsman ones are adequate. I prefer the makita version. One of the most difficult things for me to do is to hold a nail while I start it with a hammer.

Burt
I love my Makita 18v impact driver. It has enough torque to snap the screws if I'm not careful. Last year I was installing vinyl fascia on my roof, and the roofing nails to secure the J-strip and F-strip are short so I quickly got tired of hammering my fingers. I used a magnetic telescoping pickup tool to hold the nail while I started it. The rare earth magnet holds it securely and I can position my hand safely away from the nail. You would probably find it easier to hold than just the nail by itself.

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Question

Interesting to find a thread like this. I have for the past year been suffering from what has been diagnosed as Arthritis. It just came up suddenly, and has totally wiped out my ability to use my arms. The muscles have all atrophied and the pain is excruciating in both arms. I can't pull up or lower anything, and when I wake up in the morning, can barely straighten the arms. If you DO find a supplement that works to relieve the pain, let me know. I am getting to the point where I can't drive a car. And that is really a serious life changer for me.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Default A Note of Caution

The subject is "Woodworking With A Disability." I fully understand the need to explain some of the physical challenges some members have. Sharing as much as you are comfortable sharing is one thing. That stated, I am reminding members that all posting must come back to how, we as individuals have been able to adapt or implement tools in spite of physical or mental challenges. I came to EZ due to cancer and the loss of one arm. This part of the forum is valuable as EZ and track saws in general are great adaptions for physical challenges.

We can not legally allow this section to veer off into medical advice, or buy this med and you will get better, sort of discussions. I really do not want to get into having to enforce some set of rules, and I do believe we can be self limiting. So I am asking "please!" Limit all posting to, comments or perspectives that might encourage folks to continue or start woodworking in spite of a physical challenge.