The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 AM

Question Introducing myself to EZ'rs and sawyers and trackers...

Hello to all of you from my little wet corner of forest. Here, west of Portland, OR, I'm developing webbed feet. It really rains a lot here!
Anyway, I have quite a collection of woodworking tools that I acquired over many years and I use them to build all kind of household items; coat hangers, wooden spoons, boxes, stands, tables, benches, etc. Last year, I finally finished building my shop and my old auger bits and hand planes and chisels have a better place to be stored. I need to build cabinets. Also, the time has come to replace my HD special, kitchen cabinets. I developed an interest in this track saw system; I see the benefit of it and how efficient it is for one person to manage large sheets of plywood.
I have so many questions, I don't even know where to start:
I want to purchase a system that is strong enough to rip and support full sheets of plywood and lumber. I want to be able to cut my own legs from my black walnut boards or oak, that I milled ten years ago. Makita 5008 would be the saw but the bench, and the rest of the system, it's a big question mark for me.
There is a sub-forum of Power Benches but on the EZ site, there is no such thing. Am I missing something? I've seen some benches with cross braces made of wood on Pinterest, none for sale on EZ site. Is this item discontinued? The system offered is sufficient for what I need (EZ Smart EZ One)?

Last edited by danext61; 05-18-2017 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 AM

Default welcome

Not sure where "west" is as I am also from Oregon. I am on the coast and recently aquired a 2nd home in Idaho. I change as the weather suits me.

Not sure what you are asking about. The EZ1 is the system and has all the parts. If you are having trouble locating the right system have you gone to the web site store? Many of the power benches are of members own creation. I see that you want to make legs -- presume you mean tapered legs for a table? I have seen that done, but it may take a bit of practice, as the EZ system is different (not to mention safer) than a table saw.

Many of the other members might be able to give you better advice. Anyone want to jump in here?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Not sure where "west" is as I am also from Oregon. I am on the coast and recently aquired a 2nd home in Idaho. I change as the weather suits me.

Not sure what you are asking about. The EZ1 is the system and has all the parts. If you are having trouble locating the right system have you gone to the web site store? Many of the power benches are of members own creation. I see that you want to make legs -- presume you mean tapered legs for a table? I have seen that done, but it may take a bit of practice, as the EZ system is different (not to mention safer) than a table saw.

Many of the other members might be able to give you better advice. Anyone want to jump in here?
Hi Phillip, thank you for your reply. I'm between the coast and Portland within walking distance to some really good wineries.... Not blaming you for Idaho, good for you!
Well, I need this system to be able to rip and cross cut plywood and lumber. A system that will not wobble under the weight of a 5'-6' long 16X2 white oak or black walnut. A system that I can achieve a glue line, without jimmy rigging or investing in more tools. Yes, I've been on the web site, thank you for this suggestion. I'm a people person and communicating with an other fellow, even on a forum format, would paint a different picture for me (in acquiring a system) and this community.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 PM

dan,
not sure if Phil is up for it, but it might be helpful for you to visit someone close to you and see/use the EZ equipment in person. I don't foresee any issues w/the EZ equip. performing well for you.
Rick
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong fellow forumers, but a "Power Bench" is a homemade saw typically based upon the B300 Bridge Kit and a length of Guide Rail.

People build all sorts of versions of homemade tables, some with just frames, some look more like workbenches.

I think the B300 Bridge is easiest to attach to the Power Bench by using two lengths of Sliding Module Extrusion (SME) or Super Sliding Module Extrusion (SSME). When the bridge is attached to the SME or SSME using bolts it is fairly easy to square the bridge with and a perpendiular fence by sliding the ends of the bridge along the SME or SSME and tighening the bolts when perfectly perpendicular (sounds like a Mary Poppins line).

Which reminds me, a Power Bench typically needs some kind of fence that is perpendicular to the guide rail.

I purchased a used EZ-One because of its clamping and postioning capabilities (and because my wife limited my budget). If you want to cut full lengths of plywood, then you'll need a bigger table - either a big homemade Power Bench with a long guide rail or an EZ1 Max! (which is, as someone seems to say, heeeeuuuuuuuuge).

The EZ creators' vision is that instead of cutting full lengths of plywood or lumber using an EZ One or Power Bench, you'd use the Universal Edge Guide (UEG) to cut unlimited lengths of exactly equal width. You can also do that with Repeaters and a guide rail. You can also cut very very narrow rips using a guide rail and the EZ SMART Clamp System.

The idea is once you've cut the plywood to width (long strips of corret width plywood), then you would use the EZ Square to cut those strips into the right sizes. A Cabinet Maker combines the EZ Square with one Repeater to allow you to do repeated square cross cuts of equal size.

Of course much of this become much easier on an EZ One or a smartly designed Power Bench, which is why I invested in one.

Be wary of the depth of cut of the saw on the rail guide. The thickness of the rail guide and saw base steals some depth of cut. My own needs max out at with 2x? dimensional lumber, but if you want to cut 4x? or 6x? or bigger you'll need a bigger saw.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find success in your woodworking!!

By the way, I hope Eurekazone is listening. Potential buyers need to understand Eurekazone's products, and simply will not buy if they can't understand them. Its a mistake to sit quietly and wait for orders to come in.

Ken K.

Last edited by kenk; 05-18-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Comment about Eurekazone listening to customers
Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 PM

Ken, Thank you!
Do you think that It's necessary to attach any bracing or extra-framing to the existing aluminum frame of the EZ One? As I said earlier, I was considering cutting dimensional heavy lumber of about 6'X 2"X16" in addition to full sheets of plywood.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 PM

EZ-1 is not long enough to rip 6ft. That EZ-1Max is but big and expensive.
You could build your own power bench any size you want. Get a B-300 and whatever length track to fit.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM

I don't plan to add any extra bracing to the EZ-One. Mine came with a customized squaring bar that has a turnbuckle in the middle. I assume if you search on this forum you'll find information on that - likely where the original owner got the idea.

An earlier version had wood 1x4 (guessing on the dimension) braces across the long span between the legs - on the inside (can put a shelf across it too), but right now I am not adding those to mine.

The previous owner had put Rockler Workbench Casters on the legs (I saw them one of his sale pics), but he removed them from the sale package. Eventually I may put those on it (and my yet-to-be-build layout table), depending on where I put the EZ One post-retirement.

I'm not recalling right now the maximum cut length of the standard EZ One (I'm not at home right now to check). Its a 72" rail, I'd guess the max cut length is about 54" (12" from handle end to the B300 support, and then maybe another 6" from the support to the side rail/fence??). Can anyone chime in here at this cut length?

Ken K.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM

There is a bit on my blog about a power bench I built some years ago that might give you an idea of what can be done.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
There is a bit on my blog about a power bench I built some years ago that might give you an idea of what can be done.
Thank you, for your link, it becomes clearer now. I was thinking that the "forum administrators" can always create a note; a sticky note or an fyi to the Power Bench sub-forum and explain these details: Power Bench is a home made table, with EZ components. Sending someone to read the sales pitch, on the EZ web site, is not constructive. Thank you again!