The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondoom88 View Post
Yeah MDF turns to mush if it gets even moist really! For speakers in the home MDF isn't a bad choice if you can cut and route outside even with dust collection its a mess.
If your building something to take from gig to gig definitely go with plywood much tougher for repeated setup and tear downs & lighter too.

For a DJ rig I don't know how you can beat the stuff over at BFM. I watched a video were a guy built a Jack10 and powered it with one of those cheap 20.00 Lepai class "T" amps and it sounded pretty damn good to me.
The prices my buddy that plays has thrown around for entry level PA stuff from behringer,EV & Mackie is crazy expensive!
Yes Mark I use the same amp just for testing and would work fine for home or car. The only thing is when you go over half volume with a small amp it starts to distort but when played at the most it can take the sound is pretty good I agree.

It is nice to learn about all the ways speakers can be made and why you would make them that way.

Thanks for all your info.

John.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
Yes Mark I use the same amp just for testing and would work fine for home or car. The only thing is when you go over half volume with a small amp it starts to distort but when played at the most it can take the sound is pretty good I agree.

It is nice to learn about all the ways speakers can be made and why you would make them that way.

Thanks for all your info.

John.
John,
No problem, Have you built any of the "Jack" speakers?
Good to hear you like that lepai I'm planning on using one of those amps on a ipod speaker dock I'm cooking up. Just in the design phase right now but I was planning on making it battery powered so I can charge it up take it out by the pool and jam for a few hours at a time. No outlets near the pool. probably won't happen until next spring though the summer really got away from me.
Maybe I should've spent less time in the pool and more time finishing projects
Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Default What about?

I really do not like MDF and I understand the Baltic Birch price issue. I use MDO for most of my projects. It has the ply density of Baltic Birch, and since it is used for boat building or sign making it is virtually moisture proof, and the smooth paper finish makes a great paint surface.

More to the point -- $42 for a sheet of .750" double faced. I built bookshelves and storage cabinets with the stuff. I really like MDO.

Just a consideration. Might want to check your suppliers. Some of the sign suppliers sell it pre primed for that price.

Phil
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Speaker builds

Mark this thread is doing pretty good and I think after what comes out this year from EZ will be great tools for any speaker builder.

I would like to find a few models and get good at making them then would hope we can get some people that would want them.
Because of space on my end.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Just a question

Just testing the wind so to speak. Would there be enough interest in sound speakers to make it another sub forum topic like the cabinet building? You guys have gone on for quite a while and I know of 2 other guys that have not posted that are making speaker cabinets.

Just let me know with a post or PM then I can run it past the powers that be.

Phil
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Phil,

I'd vote for a speaker forum.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Count me in Phil

People of all walks listen to music and its what makes the world go around so I'm with Dik on a vote for another sub forum for speaker building and maybe we can get some step by steps made with EZ system.

Yes I'm sure there are a few more here into speaker building large or small.

Thanks John....
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM

Speaker forum sounds fine to me. There are a lot of other forums for speaker builders but I don't see why EZ users can't have their own.

The only thing I would recommend is that anyone posting a project that they got from another source should clearly state that (& post link to designer) and they respect the designer's IP rights.
Example: Bill Fitzmaurice sells his plans so his designs aren't free so no one should post a cut list for one of his projects or try to circumvent purchasing the plans, like asking a member here for them.

Other DIY guys that I have bookmarked have something like this posted "All designs here are free for non-commercial use" So anyone planning on making and selling them would be in violation.

Man its sad that you have to state all that stuff nowadays.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM

As another speaker builder/designer, I'd love to see more DIY folks share their projects. If you want to learn, there are a number of great places online already, such as AVSForum's DIY Speakers and Subs section, or the TechTalk forum at Parts Express. There is also AudioKarma, DIYAudio, and I am sure that I am missing a bunch.

I have primarily shared my horn and tapped horn subwoofer designs. I have been designing and building my own speakers for about 30 years now. While I am most active over at the AVSForum (as lilmike), I'd be happy to help my EZ brethren with speaker and sub questions when I have the time.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Will work on it!

Ok, that tells me there are many that are interested. Not trying to get ahead of other speaker building sites. I am seeing that there is a big interest in building theater sound systems, and performance gear. My perspective is that EZ tools in a growing area of interest and how we meet the needs as a forum and product. What I am hoping a sub forum will accomplish, is a place for guys that want to use something other than a table saw (for what ever reason), to build their own gear. EZ tools (and the dead wood concept) are a unique way for woodworkers and audiophiles in general, can join together and achieve building success -- Without a co-signer. I hope we can show audiophiles a way to enjoy their passion without spending all their cash on construction tools. How many times have we wanted to build something but stopped because the expense is not just the product, but tools and education and learning curve. EZ offers the path to success without investing a Kings ransom and indenture as apprentice to a master woodworker -- just to listen to great sound?

I'll get to work on it.
Phil